Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

voodoo chorus and bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sDg, Jun 3, 2003.

1. sDg

sDg

Feb 26, 2003
    Wise, Virginia
    I guess I have been listening to too much Jaco. I want to add a chorus to my fretless. I started looking at the usual suspects, then decided to branch out a little. Does the voodoo lab analog chorus handle the bass frequencies well? Also is it a true bypass?

This is what I want, analog, true bypass and handles the lows. If the voodoo won't do, what will?

sDg

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the TC Electronic chorus pedal will meet all of your needs, and do so beautifully.:D

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

TC is not true bypass, AFAIK. But that doesn't mean it won't work well. (A well designed buffered bypass is actually better than true bypass in some applications, especially at the end of the effects chain.)

Most choruses out there will cover the lows well. However, you many not like that. You see, chorusing the low frequencies my make the sound too muddy. (You ever heard of a two bass band? No? There is a good reason for that!) Some bass-specific choruses only chorus frequencies above a certain value, usually somewhere around 250Hz. The sound is a little more sutble, but more defined. The EBS and Boss bass choruses do this. Really good analog choruses manage to chorus the entire range and still remain defined. My Analogman Clone Chorus is one.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I messed around with a Jacques Meister Singer in a music store a while ago. I thought it sounded fantastic with a bass! If I was in need of a chorus pedal, I probably would have bought it.

Just a suggestion...

http://www.ts808.com/meistersinger.htm

5. A friend who owns the VL Analog Chorus tells me that it does horrible things to the lows. You could get it modded, I suppose.