Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jonathanl, Feb 17, 2003.

1. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Has anyone used this one bass?

Is it tone sucking? work well?

(I couldn't find much info on it for people who have used it on bass...

the clean knob looks interesting though..

If not...the Angler looks promising..

Thanks for any info!

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I played with it briefly, I thought it was pretty cool. All Voodoo labs stuff is good, but it's a little too "one trick" for me. The analog chorus rocks though.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I had one (in the FX loop of my Meatball) for a while. It's very midrangey (being a tubescreamer copy) not a whole lot of bottom end. Nice sounding natural overdrive though. And being able to mix in the clean tone really helps bring back the missing lows. Try one if you can - IMO it's not as good as the Fulltone Bassdrive but it costs half as much.

Alex

4. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I have one that I use with guitar. I tried it on bass but didn't find any sounds that I cared for. My other distortion pedal is a SansAmp GT2 which I like better with my bass (compared to the Sparkle Drive).

That said, I don't think either is all that great with bass. I'm still looking for "my perfect" bass distortion pedal.

LeonD

5. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    AS with any TubeScreamer copy, it must be modded to work best with bass. The mods are not very expensive and there are several who do them. Try Robert Keely (run a search on Keely tube screamer mods).