1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Voodoo Lab Tremolo SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok so I've had this on my board for awhile and I really like it. I just thought I'd make a couple quick soundclips for you all to check out and see if it's your thing or not. I use it for a nice classic tremolo sound. So, obviously, there's no way I could do soundclips of this without doing any Creedence. So here's the Creedence:

http://media.putfile.com/Tremolo1

And then one of my riffs which I think gets a nice flavor with a little Tremolo on it:

http://media.putfile.com/Tremolo2

So yeah, that's it. I think it's a nice buttery tremolo effect. If anyone was curious about hearing this pedal for a different style application just ask and let me know what you want me to play and I'll see if I can't whip up some more clips for you. Oh yeah, and, in case you couldn't have guessed the dirt in these clips is coming from my Z. Vex Box of Rock and I'm using only the bridge pickup of my Gibson SG Bass, which has that "guitarlike" sound.

And as always I'd appreciate to hear anyone's opinions on these soundclips, good, bad, or ugly (you're not going to hurt my feelings; my fiance is already very vocal about her disdain for my tremolo sounds).

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Clips sound great, very amp-like (the distortion and the tremolo). Why did you ditch the chorus and go tremolo? Tremolo is nice, I just don't find it very useful.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    That actually sounds pretty cool. Could make for a good intro effect or something.

Can you get a really bassy WHUPWHUPWHUP sound? :p

4. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    The truth is I am obsessed with the late 60's and early 70's era in music. Tremolo on tracks by Creedence, Buffalo Springfield, and psychedelic tracks by Donovan (check out Hurdy Gurdy Man) and Tommy James (I'm A Tangerine, Crystal Blue Persuasion, Crimson and Clover) is just amazing to me. I wanted to have a classic tube amp tremolo on my bass! And amazingly enough, I found one setting on the Voodoo Lab Tremolo pedal that seems to work well with a lot of the material I'm starting to put together for when I go solo and get together my own band. I'll have to restrain myself with the Tremolo because I could be in danger of overusing it! Also it's worth mentioning that a lot of modulation pedals rob the "bite" of my overdriven sound, which the Tremolo doesn't do at all. Moreover chorus was just too modern for me. The Analogman Chorus is an amazing pedal and it will remain in my collection, but I've really only got room on my board for one modulation pedal and right now that's the Tremolo. I do intend to check out the DLS Rotosim or Hughes and Kettner Tube Rotosphere in the future though, because I also really like leslie sounds.

And I think you mean can I get a helicopter chop sound? You can definitely do that with the Voodoo Lab Tremolo by turning up the slope (my clips have it set at minimum). Maybe I'll do some helicopter chop clips if I get a chance.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Tremolo has become one of my favorite effects and I tried a bunch when I was deciding on one. The Voodoo Lab was a good one. Pricewise the only one in that range that I liked as much was the Aramat Trem, but the maker of Aramat effects passed away recently (I think he was only 33 or 34) so they've been discontinued.

6. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm pretty happy with the Voodoo Lab Tremolo, but my first choice was actually the Fulltone Supa Trem, which I also really like (my twin brother the guitarist owns a Fulltone Supa Trem). Of course I was looking for a really basic and classic sounding tremolo. The deciding factor was that I happened to be really broke when I was GASing for the tremolo so price was an issue as I could only scrape together enough cash to afford the Voodoo Lab.

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok for anyone curious about some other sounds through this pedal I made a couple more clips, this time "clean" (clean being a relative term because I still get some grunt out of my Ampeg head) still with the SG Bass but this time with the neck mudbucker and bridge pickup. Here's a low helicopter chop sound:

http://media.putfile.com/Tremolo4

And then just some bassline over a blues form in E with a little tremolo to color things up; not sure how I like the effect on this style of playing but may as well try it to check it out:

http://media.putfile.com/Tremolo3

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    That heli sound is pretty trippy :D