Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vote for fave bassist for the NME's "Supergroup"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Oct 2, 2003.

1. - a followup to the thread about Jack White getting a high placing in the Rolling Stone top 100 Guitarists list,
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98300
    and my prediction as to what the top 100 bassist list would be-

I picked up the weeks NME (New Musical Express, although I prefer to refer to it as the New Moronic Excess), to find inside it a pullout poster booklet of nominees for the NME's Supergroup poll, and this week it happens to be bassists.
    =basically another pointless exercise in the NME seeing how they can BS their readers into adopting their proclaimed tastes.

the nominees are;

Paul Simonon (The Clash)
    Dolf whatever-his-name-is (The Datsuns)
    Flea
    Carlos Dengler (Interpol, AKA the goth Strokes)
    Nick Oliveri (QOTSA)
    Sid Vicious :p :D
    Mani (Stone Roses/Primal Scream)
    Paul McCartney

2. BassesOfDeath

BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    Ummm.. Flea..I..guess..

3. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    haha sid :rolleyes:

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Sounds more like a "STUPORgroup" or a "STUPIDgroup"...

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    meh... Sir Paul is definitely the best. You can go see him in concert for something like $750... :rolleyes:

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Half of those bassists suck. I'm never reading Rolling Stone ever again.

Flea is the only one up there worth mentioning.

I'm assuming this is a rock supergroup, so, in my opinion, the three best bassists of all time (Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorious, and Stanley Clarke) are not even eligible.

Flea is one of my all time favorite bassists, but even I admit that he doesn't even compare to Les Claypool.

And Les, not even nominated.

7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Never reading Rolling Stone again,
    and I will never read NME for the first time.

On a side note:

I like milk!

(we should close this shameful thread)

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Zing. :D

9. no! don't close the thread!

the nominees are basically people that NME thinks look cool- eg. Dolf Datsun with his cherubic face and long hair and low-slung T-bird, Carlos Interpol with his snappy suits, Paul Simonon with his classic poses and London Calling Pbass-smashing album cover (although he did play some classic basslines too), Nick Oliveri with his nude appearances onstage and goatee beard (and the fact he's in the incredibly overrated NME favourite QOTSA).

-so there wouldn't be a chance in hell that a short, buck-toothed jazzer such as Victor Wooten would get nominated:p

so these are what all the UK indie kids think are cool bassists (or are being brainwashed into thinking by the NME).

I didn't get last week's issue- I fully expect Meg White to be nominated in the drummers category :rolleyes:

10. Here's my top ten.

1.Jaco(duh)
    2.Les Claypool
    3.Vic Wooten
    4.John Myung
    5.Ryan Martinie
    6.John Entwislte(don't murder me for the spelling)
    7.Justin Chancellor
    8.Jean Baundin(guy from Nuclear rabbit)
    9.JT
    10.John Paul Jones

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Magazines like that will always cater to what the people want. Otherwise they wouldn't sell any, and wouldn't make money. Rolling Stone does this all the time. Whatever is the hip thing at the moment. That would explain why Jack White was high on that list of guitarists, but Chet Atkins and Wes Montgomery weren't even mentioned. Magazines like Guitar World do this, too. Anything related to entertainment is strictly going to cater to the fad of the moment.

And as to Meg White being "best drummer"...that thought just makes me sad. :crying:

12. BassesOfDeath

BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    Justin Chancellor is my all around favorite bassist.. he didn't make the list.

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Of those choices, Paul Simonon ain't half bad for being a punk rocker. Of course it's going to be "NME-supergroup", with Jack White et cetera people.

The method for creating the list was probably "Um guys, for the super bassist vote, we have chosen those bassists from the half-a-dozen most trendy groups at the moment, but we need couple more so who bassists can you think of.. Yea, good idea, lets put Flea and Macca there, ok finished!"