1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vote: Modulus VS MM Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TypicalBassist, Aug 7, 2012.

1. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
    Alright, so the fellas at my local music shop were having a small debate on which bass was better: Modulus or MM Stingray. Both sides had good points and better rebuttals, but in the end, We called it a draw. I figured the bassists at TalkBass would have much to say on this topic, so I decided to post this.
    In my opinion, I like the Modulus bass over the Stingray. It has a better feel, but the stingray has some good perks and a wonderful sound as well. What do you guys think?

2. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    If your talking about the Funk Unlimited, I'd have to got with the Modulus. I have owned both and liked both basses, but the Modulus was one of my favorite basses ever.

3. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
    I agree completely. The modulus gives a nice, solid thump when you play it. Plus, it hangs for quite a while.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have owned a 12+ Stingrays over the years and prefer Modulus basses by far. I like the Flea/Funk basses, but IMO a Quantum is an amazing bass and better thn any of the Stingrays I have owned including a 100th Anniversary NAMM SR (factory Status graphite neck). Just IMO in any case.

I still own ang gig a '78 Stingray and it is a great bass with great growl.... But the Modulus basses just cut so well thru the mix.

5. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    I tried the modulus when testing basses out in search of my first bass. The tones were good but when I picked up the stingray my hands immediately fell in love with the feel of the neck. And the 5HH gave what appeared to be an infinite amount of tones. Both sounded great but the stingray felt great in my hands. No knock against Modulus. To each is own. And to all you bass players........keep thumpin'!

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What Modulus bass are we talking about here? They've got a few models...

7. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Sep 16, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    I always assumed the point of the "Funk Unlimited" (originally the Flea Bass) was to be more Stingray than a Stingray (i.e. all the best parts). Well, at least from Flea's perspective ;) I suspect the electronics and pickup options impact the versatility though, since Modulus offers it in lots of combinations (some less useful than others). My favorite is the single Basslines/MM pickup with Aguilar 3-Band.

From an originality perspective, the Stingray wins. For everything else, go Modulus. This is my highly subjective opinion of course ;) I've owned three (2 FU5s and one VJ4).

8. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
    Funk Unlimited Modulus is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. :S

9. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
    It was the boom of the modulus that had me hooked. Sadly, Its hard to find a Modulus around my area. We have a few Stingrays, Sterlings, Presicion, Jazz, etc., but no modulus anywhere! Lucky, the local music store are planning on getting some. :)

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    To me, nothing does the Stingray thing better than a Stingray. I've got a Modulus Q5 and think it's a great instrument, so I've got no doubt the Funk Unlimited is terrific as well...but I'd rather have a Stingray I think.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    This is sort of like apples and oranges. Which is the "better" fruit?

No question that NOTHING does the stingray thing better than a stingray. But it's a sort of specialized thing. I have one and I LOVE that Stingray tone...when you want that tone!

But for an all-around bass, no question that my Q6 is the best bass I own. Cuts the mix like a hot knife through butter. Tone to burn. versatility and range without losing tone. Neck that never needs adjustments EVER. And that feel of the graphite neck (which some hate, but I happen to love).

No doubt that the Modulus is the "best" bass of the pair unless you are looking for the Stingray thing, in which case the 'Ray thing is best.

Hence TB rule: must own them both.

12. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    I'll vote both-in favor of the TB rule.