Voting propaganda (not a political discussion)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One day when I was in high school, in civics, I believe it was, we took an entire class period off because the schoolboard was requiring our teacher to discuss with us reasons to vote. They gave her a bunch of those over-head sheets that had pictures that went along w/ stuff that she was to read to the students. It started out with the kind of stuff you would expect, like how people died to protect your right to vote etc., but then she read something along the lines of, "the word idiot comes from a greek word meaning, 'person who does not vote.'"

I don't know if any of the other students were paying attention, but I took this as a personal insult to my intelligence. Days later, when I was in the school library, I happened upon a book. I don't remember the name for this sort of book, but it was the type with word origins in it. So I looked for the word idiot, and although I don't remember exactly what the book said, I know that it said nothing of greek, much less anything about not voting. So the next day I asked the teacher about this, and she just said something like, "oh whatever, I just read it 'cuz it's my job."

It's sad how little respect people have, don't you think? :meh:
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It's sad how many idiots sit on the school board, and dictate curriculum to otherwise helpful teachers. As far as I'm concerned, they can get rid of the whole lot of them. I mean, isn't that why we have standardized tests, so we don't need people like that?

"According to Christina Jeffrey:

Our word "idiot" comes from the Greek word for a private person uninvolved in public affairs. The Greeks thought any free man who failed to interest himself in his own present and future was an idiot..."

Other google searches agree with this in general. :p

Personally, I think it is just fine if people don't vote. Better to let the people who care enough to follow the issues decide elections. Really, do I want the American Idol crowd picking our next leader? No. Less uninformed voters means my vote has more weight. Now I'm not saying complete voter apathy is good, but I talk to people who don't know if Bush is a Democrat or a Republican, who intend to vote. :rolleyes:

On a sidenote, I went to a meeting of the local road commission because a new road might possibly take the family farm. It was one of the least professional/disorganized meetings I've ever seen. Thumbs up/thumbs down voting, no set agenda, not enough space for citizens to sit, and a meeting date was postponed two weeks because one of the thirty odd members had a birthday on that day. :mad: I'm seriously considering switching majors to pre-law or Political science just because I've seen the incompetent people elected locally, and know I could take them (at least intellectually. No telling who people around here will vote for...). If the people around here saw just one meeting... but no, they want to vote without knowing a thing other than the candidate's name. Small town politics suck! "Oh, I've heard of them, let's vote for them!" "Hey he was a good basketball coach, shouldn't he be on the road commitee?" And people wonder why the county has spent a million dollars on a Little League field that probably won't be completed because it was built in area with known flooding and sinkhole problems!

Okay, angry rant is off.
  4. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I believe the word you're looking for it dictionary.
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, administrate.
  6. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hahahhaha so true. Anyone that knows anyone that has or has worked in a school will appreciate.
  7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    As a teacher, I find that quote to be absolutely insulting. I did not achieve a bachelor's degree, a master's degree, and professional training in education because I could not "do" anything else. I chose to dedicate my time and energy to help our society be what it is. Every time I hear someone use that tripe, I wonder what they could "do" with their lives without the help of professional educators. Oh, and you can slag on administrators all you want. School administration types eat their young.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I told you my mother's a teacher, right? And that I've been thinking about going into teaching?

Smooth Ben, real smooth.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    With ketchup, not less.
  10. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Dude, I read your post and thought "He had GOT to be in Tennessee." Imagine my sad lack of surprise when I saw that you were. Anyway, howdy.

11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Those who can't administrate, defecate.

brad cook
  12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

I submit, sir, that you are the exception, rather than the rule.

And the flip side of that coin is, let me ask you a question. Do you feel that your degrees have helped you when it comes to your day to day job, and the "practical" aspects of education?

May I ask what level you teach at, and which subjects?
  13. and those who suck at playing music are ben strange.

Thats a ****ing ignorant comment ben. Mine was intentional... yours was ignorant.
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't like where this is going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.