Vox AC1 for Bass - Why no love?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MakoMan, May 11, 2012.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've seen very little on TB about the Vox AC1 for bass and I cannot quite understand why. I have one and it's probably the piece of equipment that gets used the most with my bass.
    I use mine as a headphone amp and constantly practice along to the built-in drum machine through either the headphones or link it to my PA. Also use the aux input to practice along to music from CD or the computer.
    The built in drum machine has some of the best beats I've found... by comparison the drumbeat choices on my Korg PX4B were quite lame and sounded fake. As well the Vox has much more volume through the headphones than the Korg if you want to play along to the real songs. The only thing I would change on the Vox would be to add a digital display in order to be able to set the drums say 120 BPM instead of sorta having to guess at the right speed. But otherwise it is first rate. I sold the Korg PX4B just because it was not getting used. Also it was significantly more complicated to use than the AC1, which a four year old could figure out.
    My most recent use is to take the little Vox amp outside on the deck and practice through it without using the headphones. Even at 1 watt, a plastic casing and two 3" speakers it gets about as loud and sounds as good my acoustic Dean EAB did. It won't keep up with an acoustic guitar, but quite frankly, neither would the Dean and it was PIA to play compared to any of my electric basses.
    In any case, for $60 CDN new, I have more than gotten my money's worth out of this little thing. I've travelled with it, used it in hotel rooms, used the drum machine through the PA for jams when we didn't have a drummer handy. It's a very nice little unit and I would highly recommend it.
    In my case it paid for itself by replacing an acoustic bass, the PX4B and a cheapie practice amp.

2. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yep... still no love. Oh well, for anyone starting out on the bass, it's a great practice tool LOL!

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Looks like a cool toy. :)

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    So rhis is a headphone amp or something like a Korg Pandora or what? I've never heard of it. Don't really have a use for headphone/programmed drumbeat stuff. I've heard of the Vox Amplug, folks seem to like those. I just don't have a use for such a thing.

5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Battery operated/ AC adapter and two 3" speakers carry along practice amp.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I have a Marshall MS-2. Sounds pretry damn good through headphones. Has volume AND tone, and even a cleanoverdrive setting. I got it in a box of stuff at a garage sale for I think $3.;)

7. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    The Vox AC1 is a little bigger than a standard headphone amp, as it has two 3" speakers in a plastic casing so you can also play it without the headphones. While the non-headphones sound is pretty limited, you can hear it about as well as a standard acoustic bass guitar. It looks like a miniature Vox amp, as in the link posted above. It runs on batteries or an option 9V adapter.
    It works great as a headphone amp, fits in a gig bag and is extremely portable. In my case the drum machines came in very handy in working on my timing as I learned to play the bass and even 6 months later I use them all the time. While I liked my Pandora for practice, it was very limited in volume, had almost too many effects, the drumbeats sounded very artificial and very few were actually useful. The Vox beats sound much more realistic and there's quite a few I can actually use.
    Not sure it is for everyone, but it helped me tremendously as I learned to play the instrument and I still use it almost every day. I'll take it over to the computer, listen to a song I want to learn and play around with the AC1 until I find a drumbeat and the right tempo. Then I bring it back over to my practice spot, and I can play the song I'm learning along to that drumbeat until my fingers bleed.
    I also have a few non musician friends who come over now and then to sing along through a little PA I have while I play the bass. I plug the little Vox into the PA, set up some drumbeats and we'll jam all night with just my bass and the Vox drums to accompany the vocals. They have so much fun that I have a hard time getting them to leave the house.
    Anyway it's one of those little toys one picks up now and then that actually works. I've been really surprised with this little thing so thought I should mention it on Talkbass. Dollar for dollar in the 6 months I've had it, I've probably gotten more value out of it than just about any musical item I've owned.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    In that situation, it sounds like a pretty nice piece of kit then. I could see folks getting good use out of that, especially since the drum beats sound good.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Where did you get it? I don't see it in stock anywhere.

10. Ive got a small amount of cash to burn and this looks like exactly what I've been looking for. All I want to know is does the AC adapter come with it? None of the usual sites mention it so I'm leaning towards no.

I've read an explanation of how the drive knob affects the tone but what exactly does the tone knob do?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021