Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vox AC100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwx014, Dec 23, 2005.

1. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I've recently heard of a couple people using Vox AC100's to play their basses through. Has anyone here has experience with this?

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    This is a rare beast. Vox didn't make very many of them so you won't see many still in use today.

There are a couple of companies making clones of it that can be bought, but they're expensive.

The only players that i've seen using them are in Beatle tribute bands. Some of them are using re-issue AC100 cabinet and installing (hiding) a powerful solidstate amp inside to create an illusion.

There's been alot of pressure on Korg over the past number of years to re-release the AC100, but it appears they're not interested. Especially since they've just moved some of their Vox manufacturing to China.

TD

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Who used AC100s for a little bit, but they smashed them up simply because they just overheated & exploded.

There's a reason Vox doesn't want to reissue them.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    True. While the amp/guitar smashing bit was theatrical in the end, it started off when Pete got really pissed off at the lack of quality in their Vox gear. But I don't believe that Ent ever smashed anything, that would have required far more physical exertion than he'd have cared to exude.
    Vox was notorious for an uncommon lack of quailty in most of their stuff, the AC30 being the one exception. Immediately upon their contract running out the Beatles switched to Fender.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Not completely true! He had to keep the noise going, though while the others were smashing up ****. But i've seen a couple smashed buzzards by him, as well as this funny pic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]