Vox AD412 Speaker Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tommy cass, Apr 5, 2018.

1. tommy cass

tommy cass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2016
    wonder if anyone has tried using one of these for bass? Im trying to but together a Vox bass rig. The cab comes with 4 Neodogs (320 watts), made of birch plywood in the USA. Its the taller cab, that looks a little like an old Vox Thomas Organ Beatle cab. 482491000000000-00-500x500.jpg

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Is it open back? No

Is it closed back ..nah

3. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    its closed back

4. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    are there any vintage lowfi people on here or is it all Mark Bass and GK users, anyone like old junk with wires hanging out and the possibility you might get fried, where the RNR folks lol?

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Good grief! Why? VOX never did make a decent bass amp and the cabinets were very much a case of "speakers in a box."

jthisdell likes this.
  6. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    haha live a lil

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I started out with a VOX bass amp in the mid Sixties. It turned out to be a great disappointment.

8. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    yeah Ive owned all that old crap AC100, Beatle, Royal GuardsMan, Foundation, T100 cab, 115 cab and 118 cabs. I like the look of old amps compared to a tiny lil rinky dink class D head on a BIG cab and it sounding like a Hifi unit, if you are playing Jazz or easy listening that is ok but RnR forget it! , when the hell are you ever gonna need 1000 watts anyway and a 100 watt TUBE amp cuts through and blows that transistor 1000 watt radio crap out the water!

9. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    I have my solution, I had an AC100 frame and guitar speaker cab but I sold it. For bass I had a reproduction speaker cabinet made, I measured the ac100 cabinet for the exterior dimensions but I made it deeper for bass. The upper section has 2-10 Eden speakers + tweeter and this compartment is sized to have the same interior volume as a Eden 2 x10 cab. The bottom of the cab has 1 x 15 EV rated 300 watts. Even though it's deeper the cabinet fits in a VOX super beatle chrome stand and can swivel so the cabinet is horizontal (have any neighbors up-stairs you want to blast away at?). For the head I have a VOX 125 lead tube from the early 80's. I have yet to convert the head to the VOX 125 bass head spec. There is plenty of power and soulds good. Why use a VOX amp.? What amp would I use with my Phantom bass ? You guys don't remember the "VOX - It's what's happening" VOX advertising in the 60's, It was everywhere - It warps the brain .....and then you must go VOX.

My Old AC100
    VOX AC 100 001.jpg

maxschrek likes this.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Thank you for the laugh of the day! LOL

11. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    I totally understand trying to keep the weight factor down, I was thinking the Vox Cab with Neodogs would be lighter but it says 84 LBS!!!! Im not sure it would sound that great for bass and it might blow the speakers. Ill probably try to find an Avatar cab or an old Sunn cab and I bought this ugly duckling of a tube amp over the weekend, 100 watt KMD head (Laney made) Ill probably slap some salt n pepper grill cloth on the top part of the front to pretty it up a bit. image.jpg

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Tommy, a speaker cabinet has to be designed around the drivers that are going to be installed. This is very much so for a cabinet for a bass. Just dropping a set of drivers of one sort or another into an existing box is not a great idea. Yes sometimes an owner can get away with the change but far more often it ends up with a poor result. The drivers themselves are often in jeopardy and can be damaged. Guitar players have been swapping drivers in and out of their speaker cabinets for years and at the frequencies they use they get away with it. It doesn’t work that way for bass.

If anyone is interested in some VOX history take a look at triumph amplifiers

tommy cass likes this.
  13. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Two years too late, I know, but I figure it's good to have as much info out there as possible. I picked up two of these cabs dirty cheap earlier this year (less than $300 for both, combined), and I have to say they actually work really well for bass. Now, it is going to provide the hifi, clean tone of modern standards? No. But I didn't buy them for that. I've been using them with a Marshall JTM 45/100 and Hiwatt DR103 and they provide a very solid low and mid punch. Not much extension, but you certainly know the bass is there and it doesn't get muddy. They don't give the same range and depth as say my Sunn/JBL cabs, but they're also about a quarter of the weight. The speakers in them are essentially rebranded Celestion Century speakers, which sound pretty good, and they have a pretty neutral overall response, not overly middy or piercing. Overall, I've been very impressed with them, and in the right context and with the right amp I think they can work really well for bass.

tommy cass likes this.
  14. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    its funny I forgot about this post and Ive found a guy with one of these cabs again. I found a Vox AC100CPH and converted it to look more vintage. Thanks for teh information. My biggest concern is blowing the Neodogs. If you are still on here, how are your speakers holding up to the bass abuse? D.M.N. (O))))

15. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    145234717_792843954995888_6217371329688834128_n.jpg heres the head

16. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Given this past year I haven't been able to take the cabs live to really put them through their paces, but I've been using one every week for the past 10 months at practice with the DR103, and not once have the speakers given any grief. I wouldn't say I'm abusing them, but it's a loud practice, and the cab and head have no problem keeping up, the head starts to get into drive before the speakers give any distortion. The only thing I've been dealing with is the cabinet and speakers can really beam, so the tone standing in front has way more treble than even a foot to the side. That's not really a fault of the speakers, more a characteristic of 4x12 designs. I'd have no concerns playing a show with one of these cabs, and given how lightweight they are, if you're worried about volume and not wanting to push the speakers too hard, bring two!

hiwattstack.jpg

Funk With Me likes this.
  17. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    D.M.N. (O)))) are those the AD412 or more normal sized 4x12 V412BN? If I like the one Im geting I plan on using black Vox grill cloth, not a fan of the blue. I want to put my converted to Vox, Fender 215 cab back original, I kept everything to reverse it.

18. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    They're the AD412, 36"x27.5"x14", so not far off the old tall Marshall 1982Bs. They had the blue cloth on them when I first purchased them too, but I'm not a fan of that so I replaced it with some silver fabric I had, and retolex'd they one that was pretty much down to bare wood.

tommy cass likes this.
  19. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    yeah I plan on ditching that ugly blue cloth for 60's style black Vox if I end up liking it.

20. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    cool DR103, Ive owned several of those early to mid 70s Hiwatts back when you could buy them for less than $500 but that was 20 years ago. I even had a Townshend with 4 volumes, this was before the internet so I couldnt ever figure out what the hell it was, it had Townshend hand written in it, I figured it was just an employee and that there was no way it was actually Pete, I was probably wrong. Theres one on Reverb for 10k lol

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021