1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vox amPlug tone knob vs bass tone knob

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kiwlm, May 8, 2016.

1. I noticed the tone knob on the vox amplug and the one on my bass very similar, so now I just put the amplug tone knob to 10 and just adjust my bass's tone knob.

But something tell me that there must be a use for it, if not vox wouldn't have put it there? Since I assume most bass guitar should have a tone knob?

So I am interested to find out is the tone knob just something that can be ignored? Or there's a use for it that I haven't discovered it yet?

2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

It's there to use how you see fit ;)
    I use mine to tame a bit of the hiss.

physics likes this.
  3. Let say the tone knob on the amplug is at 10, and you roll your bass's tone knob down to 0, will the hiss still be there?

4. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Yes, the hiss is from the amp circuit itself.
    It will be present even with the bass volume off. Mine is older perhaps the newer versions are quieter. Again that is what I use the tone on the am plug for, to eliminate hiss.

5. Thanks! Mine is the v1 also. Just tested, and you are right, the tone roll off the hiss, with the bass guitar off.

On mine, I could never completely remove the hiss. And you made me realize, I never really cared about the hiss! Maybe my backing track and bass volume is too loud!

6. physics

physics

Aug 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I have the AmPlug2 for bass and it too suffers from a lot of internally generated hiss. Rolling the tone knob down to about 3 to 4 eliminates the hiss without affecting my tone too badly.

7. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    Same here.