1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vox amPlug2 Headphone Bass Guitar Amplifier...Has anyone used it?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by guestOU812, Jun 21, 2018.

1. guestOU812

guestOU812 Banned

Jul 30, 2011
    I just bought the Vox amPlug2 for the bass. I had a very early version of the same device for guitar. I was surprised at how nice it sounded for both guitar and bass; although the advert was for guitar only. I bought it when my 2 year old son (now 8) was receiving chemo and radiation treatments for a rare form of cancer called rhabdomyosarcoma. We spent a lot of time in hospitals between New York City and Boston (about 2.5 years). And we were traveling a lot! I was able to get an awesome clean and distorted sound for both instruments and I was able to groove to music from my iPhone. It was just the thing I needed when things settled or while sitting in waiting rooms. I did a lot of waiting.

My son is now healthy, wonderful and as normal as any child. Cancer be gone! Truthfully he's amazing! Aside from the biopsy scars and a few radiation machine aligning tattoos you'd never know he survived such a horrible ordeal.

Sadly a friend of mine was recently diagnosed with a terrible form of kidney cancer. He's another git box picker. He will be hospitalized for several weeks for chemo, PT and other treatments (please send my friend good energy, prayers and whatever positive vibes you can muster). Before leaving the house to visit him I tried to think what my buddy would need to keep is mind away from his troubles. He's an electric guitar player and cannot have an amp in his room, then I thought, the Vox amPlug I have! He would love it! For the perfect guitar to jam on in this situation would be my 64' Dan Electro Convertible. Its a low volume acoustic with a lipstick pickup, its cool as hell looking and I figured it would bring him a smile being vintage and all. I included extra batteries, over the ear headphones and a mini cable to hook to his phone.

Why am I writing this? Because I just bought the Vox amPlug2 Bass version from the TalkBass store and I can't wait hear it. I am hoping it's just as neat with the guitar as my original "guitar" Vox amPlug. Has anyone here used it?

2. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I love the amPlug 2 for bass. Great travel/practice rig. Far superior to iRig with an app, IMHO.

Glad your son is well.

3. guestOU812

guestOU812 Banned

Jul 30, 2011
    Thank you!!! We are lucky.

4. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    It's a good piece of kit, I think that you will be pleased. Prayers for your buddy, Praise for your Son.

5. guestOU812

guestOU812 Banned

Jul 30, 2011
    Thank you. I can't wait to hear it.

6. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I've been using the amplug for a while. It's a fun little device and is way more rugged than I suspected it would be. I don't like the tone control, but that's about the only thing I'd complain about.

djp420 likes this.
  7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The AmPlug2 sucks compared to the first version, IMO. Nowhere near as loud and lots of background noise. Plenty of drum loops to play along to and overall the tone is better, but fails as a utility device, again IMO. How do I know? Owned several of both. Searched in vain and then happily overpaid for a v.1 that I baby like a Tiffany heirloom. When it inevitably breaks (they all eventually do), I’ll move on to my Rolls PM351.

8. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    I was using mine just last night. Nice piece of kit when you want/need to be quiet.

djp420 likes this.
  9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Sorry for the derail:
    Can anone compare the Voxam headphone system as opposed to the Amplug and decent headphones

Does the Vox version sound much better than the Chinesse knock offs?

10. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Used a Vox Amplug for quite a while.

Then went to the Vox Amphones. vox-amphones-e28093-bass.
    Used that until it stopped working two weeks ago.
    Then went back to the Amplug.

I may buy something a bit more versatile(pricey)in the future.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    djp420 likes this.
  11. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Did the 2 vox units sound the same?
    I realize the headphones were different.

12. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Sorry.I never did a side by side comparison.
    I just wanted something that worked well enough.

Jim C likes this.
  13. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I own both, the Vox amPlug2 Bass and the Vox amPhones Bass.

To my ears, they sound different. I prefer amPlug2 sound, even when using the amPhones as passive headphones for the amPlug2 (the amPhones has the capability to be used as headphones for any purpose, without turning on its in-built amp).

Problem of using the amPhones (independently, not as passive headphones for the amPlug2) for me... It seems there's something wrong in its amp that causing many times I felt as if it produced notes which were slightly out of tune. Maybe it amplifies too much the inharmonic frequencies or could be anything else.... And I've experienced this with several basses. This also has never happened when it's being used as passive headphones for the amPlug2.

Jim C likes this.
  14. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Thank you very much; this is super helpful.

djp420 likes this.
  15. Falsecrack

Falsecrack

Nov 21, 2017
    First off, prayers for your buddy. You are a great friend. Secondly, I love mine. As already mentioned, it’s great for late night practice.

djp420 likes this.
  16. I've been using a Vox amPlug2 Bass since last Christmas. Plug it into my bass, run a line from the computer to the aux in, and plug in headphones. Bring up YouTube and play along to whatever I feel like. Love it.

djp420 and gebass6 like this.
  17. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Yep!That's how I practice too!

djp420 and stratovani like this.