Vox amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 13, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Pinch me, I must be dreaming. I just played a gig and used their house amp - a Vox Venue 100w bass amp. It was a tiny little thing that felt like it weighed about 30 lbs, I think it had a 12" speaker - and it cut like nothing nothing I ever heard. It IS EXACTLY the kind of amp I've been dreaming of. Tiny, light, loud and sounds great! One problem -

Does anyone know anything about these amps. I really, really want one. My search for them on the web just now yielded nothing but the new 25 or 30 watt combo they just put out.

Help please before my GAS pains buy me a Ashbory that I don't really want or need.
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hey Joe. Best I could do is a pic and a schematic :(.
    Accordin' to the Vox site, it was made in the 80's and
    had a 15" Fane speaker. Vox did make a FIFTY watt
    Venue Bass combo with a 12" Fane.

There's a feller with a site called Chris' Bass Page.
    He says he's got one...dunno if he's willin' to sell it, though.
    Try a search at dogpile.com. Enter "vox venue" (use quotes ;) ).

Click here for the schematic.

(click the pic ;) )

Rx for the G.A.S. ?...Order two sets of T/I Flats and
    post again in the morning :p
  3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    To notduane, FYI - Vox Venue amps were actually a series of amps made in England beginning in 1984 by Rose-Morris who owned the Vox name at that time. They were solid state amps and totalled seven models in all. The bass series consisted of a 50 and 100 watt combo. The Venue Bass 100 was equipped with a single 15" Fane speaker while the Venue Bass 50 came with a single 12" Fane.
    Both amps were almost identical in features except that the Bass 100 had a slave output jack along with a extension speaker and headphone jack. The Bass 50 didn't have these extra's.
    During the mid 80's Vox was not a popular amp. Rose-Morris were trying to live off the reputation that Tom Jennings and Vox had built during the late 50's to mid 60's.
    The Venue Bass 50 and 100 were quite good sounding combo amps, but they died because the guitar version (Lead 50 and 100) failed to sell due to the lack of a few (competitative) features that were being offered by other amp manufacturers as standard.
    They were not well received by musicians and sales were poor at best. Hense the reason the Venue Series are hard to find in North America.
    Sorry I don't have a picture of a Venue Bass 50 or 100 but I do of the Venue Lead 100 which looked the same as the Bass Series. If you're interested, e-mail me and i'll scan the ad and send it to you.
    Good luck finding a Bass 100. You might want to try some English guitar store sites like musicground.com They probably have one. Visit their web site or e-mail them. Ask for Justin or Richard.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    uhhhh, O.K.?

I'll stick wit' my B-15 (tube) flip-top thanx :)

There IS an old, 20 watt, tube Kensington at
    Elderly. Seems like it's been there forever.
  5. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    My appologies, my post should have been addressed to Joe Nerve.
  6. 90_feet

Mar 18, 2001
    nuts i thought some guy bought a vox amp i'm the only one who uses a vox! i use a T-25
  7. popzmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Sorry to drag up a 14 year old thread, but I've got one of these and I love it to bits. Unfortunately, its really on its last legs at this stage....
  8. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    You, Sir, are the Howard Carter of TalkBass. Not a zombie resurrection, but rather a mummy discovery.
    popzmaster likes this.
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It must be a well loved amp though, given it hasn't been mentioned here since 2001.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Guys, guys it's a VOX and they are always worth mentioning!! :)

For me, as one who growed up with VOX amps I love the name. My very first amp was a VOX AC50 Foundation. However those were the JMI era amps. The new ones ain't what they used to be.

One of my guitar playing friends owns a 50W combo that I just had to repair. It uses an integrated power amp chip that is supposed to be bullet proof. I had to send to China to get a replacement.

As for the Venue I have never even heard of it.
  11. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Paul, the Venue series of Vox amps were made in the mid 80's during the time when Rose-Morris owned Vox. They were solid state and have no resemblance to the Vox amps we grew up with.

You're really not missing anything when it comes to them.

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    stuff we use
    vt30 - sweet little modeling amp with a pre amp tube - 99 dollars used
    ac15 - chinese reproduction of the old school amp in white with the blue speaker, beautiful ringing tone