Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

vox and playing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by phatphillss, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Whats up guys and gals, big problem i want to try and get up on the vox.but cant pull off playing and vocals at sametime what am i supposta do. i got a good voice with a lot of range just cant get no felling out of my voice because im consentrating on playing my voice ranges from sublime,metalica,pinkfloyd,and primus
    soft>floyd
    pissed>metalica
    wacky>primus
    my voice and writing> brad
    i need a way to get bass lines down and vox anyone got a wayto do this or tell me how you strated playing and singing and what made it easy.

im thinking its going to be more work but i need felling some how just cant get it out.

HEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Yup.

I started doing backing and harmony vocals. Jumping directly to lead was a little too much for me. Go slow(with backing) and then move to lead stuff.

Sidenote: I've found singing covers sung and played by bassists(original artist) way easier than covers sung and played by a guitar player(original artist).

DCat

3. ya im trying some strangefolk and some moe.trying to practice songs that a bassist sings, i got that, but thanks for mentioning it for every one else.anyone else this is a good ? why 1 person answered is beyond me.
    20 -30 people looked at this thread 1 posted can i have some theory from the others your 2 cents might help tell me what you think.

any songs i should be practicing that are easy with easy harmonys or back up vocals?

thanks daft cat

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I play in a Beatles trib band so singing and playing bass is what I do. Some of those bass parts and the singing can really be a bitch. What I do is get the bass part down solid, to the point that I don't even have to think about it, THEN work on the vocals. You'll develop whats called "muscle memory", where your fingers take over and your brain focuses on getting the lyrics right.
    I don't know specific songs for you to try but I'd start with songs that don't even have backing vocal lyrics, just ""oooooooooos" and aaaaahhhs". That would be the easist way to get used to singing, hearing your voice thru the monitor, keeping your bass strings from hitting the mic stand, and just getting the nerve to step up to the mic(a problem for some). After that, perhaps move up to a song with call and response, where the lead singer sings a line and the backing vocals respond.

5. ok, this is good beatles, your right ive played some beatles stuff back in the day and its very standard but my guitarist was better so i didnt bother to back his since the songs are kinda weird with some of the changes.

muscle memory you try smoking and think you dont have a drinking problem,maybe i should quit :help:

thanks bassman

6. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
  7. yes i did read that the other day good stuff, but i knew most of that if you are a music lover than you can figure most of that out, a lot of common sense. but a lot of info if you dont have no clue good thread thanks pruitt