1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vox Bass Amplug

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZAR14, Jan 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    Been looking into getting the Vox Bass amplug. Curious if anyone that owns or have used it, can provide feedback and opinions on it....
    Thanks

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I didn't like mine. It works, but there's not much tone variation available...turning up the treble results in noticeable hiss through most headphones, at least in my experience. But it's really the only way to be able to play bass amplified and still walk around your house. And it does have an 'aux' input so you can plug in and play along with recorded music.

3. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    I have one and I loved it. It comes with its own metronome which doubles as a drum machine with 8 or so different variations; it has three "gain" levels, and the aforementioned aux input. Note that I play an active bass, so tone controls for me happened on the bass, not on the Amplug.

The only issue that I had was battery life - it seemed very short to me. I think that this might have been due to the headphones I used with it (I used studio headphones, and it's possible that driving those headphones was harder on the Amplug due to output ohms or something - but I can't be sure).

One thing that I absolutely loved about it was that it will alert you to any technique areas that you need to work on, because the sound is very transparent and you'll hear every click and buzz from your fretwork. (In fact, for that reason alone I need to start using mine again...) It's a great practice tool at an affordable price point, and it can be thrown in a gig bag for on-the-go practice.

GrooverMcTube and ZAR14 like this.
  4. barking_spider

barking_spider

Oct 7, 2018
    I like mine, as well. I'm a beginning player, so a good, clear tone is most helpful for me. It can also be used to plug into a home/auto stereo, like I do when I go camping in my RV.

5. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    For the price and the size it is a fantastic unit. I take it along with a ubass for traveling and works great for that. Would not like it for daily practice, very noisy and noticeable distortion. YMMV of course

6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I use and like mine quite a bit. I think it sounds OK. It’s a practice tool, not a Kemper Profiler. ;) I purchased mine right here at the Talk Bass Store.

7. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Have an older one and like it. Visit inlaws a lot and take that instead of lugging my rumble40. Used to plug it into a portable speaker if didnt want to wear headphones.

8. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    Careful with it, not very solid.

9. For the price it’s great! It’s great because I like to play plugged in but live in an apartment in the city.

10. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

IMO, the Vox Amplug is just "okay." IMO, the sound quality of the Vox is very average. Once I got my Ampeg SCR-DI, my Vox Amplug has just collected dust and I don't ever plan to touch the Vox ever again. IMO, the SCR-DI sounds soooooooooo much better! (and the SCR-DI does what the Vox does....your bass and your music combined into your headphones for silent practice).

Just my two cents! :thumbsup:

11. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    It's great for warming up at a gig.

12. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I've been using mine for years. It's a great way to lean=rn songs in a hurry. Also, since I live in an RV most of the time, the form factor is handy. I keep it in my briefcase for use at gigs. Sound is ok, I just turn the tone down if the hiss gets bothersome. Worth the money.