1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vox bass CAD500 good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by parksung, Apr 21, 2009.

1. parksung

parksung

Sep 2, 2007
    assuming no major issues with this bass, can someone tell me about this (ie. sound characteristics, is there a comparable bass, etc) and whether or not it's a good deal?

this is all i have so far: VOX CUSTOM Bass
    Made in 1982-85 MATSUMOKU Japan for VOX

http://pulvoweb.chez-alice.fr//mavox/mavox.htm

2. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    That looks like a model made for Vox by Aria Japan.

Don't know the exact year but I used to see them around in the mid/late 80's.They were nice instruments.

I think the pickups were DiMarzio's.The small switch is probably a series/paralell for the P pickup

It was my understanding that that these were imported by Vox & had DiMarzio pickups installed & tweaked by British guitar great Adrian Legg in England.

I couldn't find the price. I played one that looked exactly like that in a shop in Richmond,VA. about 1988.I thought it was a real nice bass. The bridge pickup didn't have that single coil J hum.This bass got a lot of great Fender type tones.P/PJ/ & with the small switch in a good jazz bass as well.It's made nicely as well.Real versatile. Really good sustain. The tone compared to basses that cost a lot more(the dealer in Richmond wanted $450 for it in 1988).The DiMarzio's give it lots of guts but it didn't sound harsh.I liked it.

I couldn't find the price ,but if you can get this for reasonable it should be worth jumping on.

Keep in mind I'm working off memory here.Consider this an
    "Educated guess".

3. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    I can't find the price for this.

4. parksung

parksung

Sep 2, 2007
    thanks for the input, seller is asking CAD500...i may take a look

5. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    I think it's a killer bass for that kind of money.I thought the CAD500 was the model number.DUH!

hope you get it!

6. I really like the instruments the Matsumoku plant turned out (Aria, Westone) during the 80-ies. If the quality of the Vox is anywhere near that of the Westones of that period, go for it!