Vox Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jarvo3, Feb 9, 2005.

1. jarvo3

Feb 6, 2005
    Can anyone help me? i have a Vox bass which i inherited, but have had no luck in tracking down information on its history and value (if any). Even the Vox web site has no mention of it. I'm hoping an enthusiast may ne able to point me in the right direction.

I have attached a picture of the bass. Hope someone can help.

Attached Files:

• vox.jpg
      File size:
      16.4 KB
  2. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Well, it certainly looks like a decent bass. Does it sound good?
  3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    According to all of the information I found on Vox Showroom there are no VOX basses that the company put out that look like this. With the pick ups the way they are and the look of the body, someone put a couple of basses together to make a pretty cool looking bass :cool:
  4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    This is a Vox Model 3002. It was made during the early 1980's in Japan by Matsumoku (Aria). There were 2 guitar/bass series back then. One was called "Standard" and the other was the "Custom".

The 3002 is from the "Custom" series, and the finish of this particular bass is called "Honey".

Both the Standard and Custom series were replaced by the "White Shadow Series", Korean made models in 1985.

Both series were built while Rose-Morris owned Vox, which was not the best of times for Vox products. Vox at that time was known as Vox Limited.

Hope that helps.

5. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

I thought the same!!!!!!!!! :smug:
  6. my friend, you are the only other person I've ever seen with that bass; I bought one just like it for my first bass and wouldnt trade it for the world!! I know it's heavy as lead dog ****, but man, it's got a great sound yeah?

7. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    My only experience with a Vox bass was their teardrop bass, and I found it quite uncomfortable as well as unremarkable in sound.
  8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well slap me silly and call me Wanda :eyebrow:
  9. jarvo3

Feb 6, 2005
    Thanks guys.

It sounds pretty good, and yes, it weight a bloody ton!!! Its definately not a couple of guitars bolted together, as its a complete through neck with 24 frets.

That seems to be a good lead from TD. But thanks to all for your comment/interest. I will post more if i find out anymore, but TD seems to have hit the highlights.

10. jarvo3

Feb 6, 2005
    PS. Its nice to know that i'm not the only owner in the world. We could start a very small club Blackreverend....
  11. muchavo

Dec 6, 2005
    I have a vox standard 24

best guitar ive ever played

if any one has any information about it

i have night mare about this thing breaking thats how sick it is
    stock with super distortions
  12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  13. bubblysax

bubblysax -----cut here-----

Aug 2, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Can I please join the Vox Custom bass owners club?

I have just won the auction for one on Ebay (UK) complete with hard case. I have been after one of these ever since I found out about the Billy Sheehan connection. The only down side is that now I am going to have to sell my beloved 1985 Peavey Patriot to pay for it.

All I have to do now is sit patiently by the front door until it turns up.....anyone got a sleeping bag?!?!
  14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  15. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Interesting bass - when I saw it, the first thing I thought was that it looked like the Vantage bass I bought for less than $100 at a local pawnshop that was made by Matsumoko in the '80s. Mine had a single Dimarzo P-pickup. TD put you on the right track for sure. It may not be worth too much - but they are built and they play like basses that cost 2 or 3 times more and they have a small but devoted following.
  16. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Just remembered I have a picture of it.
    vantage TB.jpg
  17. bubblysax

Aug 2, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Yes it is outwardly similar, but when looking closely you see the differences. Good one though.
  18. bubblysax

Aug 2, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    I would appreciate it if any current owners of Vox Custom basses could send me a pm as I am considering creating a small webpage dedicated to old Vox's, depending on the interest I get. I have done the same for another bass I own (Larrivee) which is proving popular amongst the few owners out there.
    (for info http://www.buckley-saxon.f2s.com)
  19. bubblysax

Aug 2, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    My Vox Custom has just arrived. Nice 80's bass that looks like an 80's bass - just as I like it!

Does anyone know exactly what the two switches do? (I know that the dials are tone and volume). I am guessing the three setting switch is pickup selection (bridge, neck, & both), and that the other is a phase switch. Can anyone confirm?