Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vox Contour 1960's Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olaaaaf, Dec 9, 2005.

1. olaaaaf

olaaaaf

Nov 8, 2005
    hey,
    I recently acquired a Vox Contour bass from a car boot sale however I can't find out anything about it, theres plenty out there about other 60's British built Vox basses like the Clubman but I can't find anything about the Contour which is at a guess a model up from the Clubman, its has a much more sculpted body, rather like a Jaguar. Its definatly British made as opposed to the later Italien made as it has the green Vox logo on the headstock, with J M I Kent in smaller letters just below it. I'm wondering if maybe it could be a prototype as its quite different to the other basses Vox were making at the time and theres a complete lack of information about it anywhere on the internet.

Anywhere heres a pic, very grateful to anyone who could shed some light on it, cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Except for the pickup, it looks like a Panther. I have seen a Panther without the slanted pickup, but I believe it was positioned in a slightly higher location than yours.

3. olaaaaf

olaaaaf

Nov 8, 2005
    yeah I thought it did kind of resemble a panther, but he headstock very definetly says Contour so I'm thinkign it might possibly be soem kind of a prototype possibly?

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
  5. VoxBass

VoxBass

Jul 14, 2012
    Hi there, the Vox Contour was produced by JMI during '61-'63. I actually have one myself with two pick ups but would be keen to see more pictures of yours if you still have the bass?

Would be great if you could contact me directly at marty.kelly@virgin.net as I'm writing a book on Vox guitars at the moment and would be keen to know more about your one pick up bass.

Best regards, Martin Kelly

www.voxguitars.info