Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vox Panther bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 17, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Played an old Vox Panther bass at Music Go Round today. Pretty cool old bass with the narrowest neck I've ever seen on a bass. This particular one was strung with flatwounds and had a good 'ole thumpy vintage vibe. It was less than 150 bucks. That single jazz pickup has a crazy slant too! I dug it overall.

Anyone play one of these?

brad cook

2. Wow! I had forgotten about the Vox Panther but yes, that was my second bass. Bought it from a local guy in rural Iowa where I grew up. It did have a very narrow neck but it was probably '69 and I was 13 with small hands. Worked very well for me at the time and played very easily as I was just learning how. It was sunburst. I didn't have a very discriminating ear at the time but sounded perfectly fine to me.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey DigMe, that's a reasonable price for a collectors item. I remember seen a guy in a local band playing one of those back in 1970. Cool looking bass.

Wjr5, did you have a Vox bass amp too? Essex or Kensington?

4. gfab333, I played through the original Noble combo amp Dad got for me ( very bad amp) then shortly moved "up" to the Silvertone, I believe Sears made.
    Compared to the Noble, that Silvertone sounded very good to me, at the time.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yeah, I remember the Silvertones. A guy in my band had one. Those were the days.

Back then, the SVT or 360 hadn't come out yet, so the ultimate "high-powered" bass amp was makeshift... a Fender Dual Showman head with two JBL D-140s in the Dual Showman cab. My cousin had this rig in the late '60s, it sounded awesome and sweet!

6. tamoore

tamoore

Oct 10, 2008
    just received my vox panther bass in this week. am told they started making them in 1966..anyone know if that's correct?..mine came w/ original case, warrenty card w/ a picture of the beatles on the front, insrument care instruction card, & plastic sleeve that the polishing cloth was in. WOW...what a sweet playing, beautiful, little bass! paid $360.00 for all. i did a little checking before i bought & think i got a great deal. i understand these were made by eko in italy for vox. vox "farmed-out" quite a bit over the years. serial numbers mean nothing as you can't date them by their use...have fun panther owners!

7. I have a 68 Bill Wyman(teardrop). Hollow, w/onboard bass/treble boost, G-tuner & distortion. $360 is a nice deal; $150 would be even nicer. Must find brains...

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    That was my 2nd bass too! Mine was red w/a white pick guard, purchased on the South Side of Chicago. That's all I remember except that it must have been not only narrow but also short scale. I recall that when I moved from Vox to Fender the neck was quite an adjustment.

9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I think '66 is when I bought mine, and I think they were a new product then. I'm pretty sure it didn't cost much over $100 at the time. I don't recall that I got any case candy, or even a case! I shortly traded up for a... Vox Bill Wyman two-tone sunburst teardrop bass, of all things. ...which was the end of my Vox phase.

10. Jeff Lewis

Jeff Lewis

Sep 15, 2014
    Great memories! My Vox Panther was purchased in Des Moines, IA in 1966. This was my bass for the next 2 years as a member of The Allusions in West Des Moines, IA. Went to college in 68 sold my Panther in 70 or 71 and wish I had it back.