Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vox T-60 - How Real?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bongolation, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Vox T-60 Page

I need a small studio/rehearsal/mini-gig portable and thought these looked pretty cute. Funny, but they are the "top of the line" Vox bass amp at the moment. :)

There are a lot of cheaper or more expensive choices, but I'm looking for a good value on one that's actually a decent amp that's not going to croak on me in three days. A lot of guys are nuts about the small Korean Vox guitar amps, so I thought that maybe their bass amps are comparable, though I think it's a lot harder to make a good, reliable bass amp than one for guitar.

Anyone have any experience with these?

And, yes, I know they have no connection whatsoever with the old Vox T-60s other than the same name.

Thanks!

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    My uncle is a sales rep for Korg and I tried one of those bass amps when I was visiting him. It had a pretty decent sound, however not a lot of volume. I'd rate the tone as an 8/10.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Thanks, that's interesting, as I've encountered reports that the T-60 is unusually loud for its wattage. Odd...

Anyway, volume is not the issue for me, as I have BIG amps, I just need a dinky one that sounds good and doesn't rattle, buzz, hiss at low volume or roll over and die for no reason like so many of the small combos seem to do.

OK, so let's keep this going...anyone?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like the looks of them, but the two that I have played through did not sound like a bass amp. And like natrab said, they are not very loud, either.

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Well, this is not sounding that promising!:meh:

As I said, I've always felt that it was harder to build a good cheap bass amp than a good cheap guitar amp and maybe that's a case of what's going on here...:confused:

If I can find one locally, I'll have to try it out for myself, but I'm sure not going to order one on faith after these reports.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I know, OLD thread, but I'm digging around for a small bass combo and this one seems alright. Anyone else have any experience?

7. velcrohd

velcrohd Guest

May 26, 2002
    Paducah, KY
    I have been using a Vox T60 for over a year now as a practice amp and for small coffee shop gigs. I play my Thumb, Thunderchief, and Peavey Foundation fretless through this amp and have no complaints. It is not real loud, but loud enough for what I use it for. I do believe it sounds better than most other 60 watt amps out there. It has plenty of thump and a good midrange. If you don't need a lot of volume this is an excellent amp. I've used it at jam sessions that lasted over 5 hours with no problems. As I said, if you intend to use this for a practice amp and maybe small gigs (my coffee shop gigs were just me and one guitarist), it's the amp to get.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's pretty much what I wanted to hear. I can nab a blem for $230.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    They have a great old school tone but the Behringer 60 Watt combo is a lot louder IME.

10. velcrohd

velcrohd Guest

May 26, 2002
    Paducah, KY
    I have played through the Berhinger and I do think it was louder. But I like the sound of the Vox personally, and I have heard of some quality issues with Berhinger. I would go with the best deal.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Thanks, I'm really down between that and a GK Backline 110, which I heard is crap above 50% volume. I think something with a more vintagey tone than GK would help broaden my arsenal a bit.

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Also-the new Orange Bass combo's are sweet! I played a 35W 1x10, and it was very loud and sounded great! I think the Ashdown Perfect 10 or whatever would be good too.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nevermind, found the website. I can't find any info on small Orange combos...

14. I played through the Vox60 a few times at my drummer's house. It sounds ok at low levels, but anything about 7 post gain and it distorts unbelievably badly, I didn't like the feel, look or tone of the amp tbh, but my tastes are for deep lows and crisp highs with no mids at all, and 12" drivers are usually best at reproducing low-mids and mids.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Alright Dan, it sounds like this is a little more down my alley. Thanks bro!

16. Docsoft

Docsoft

Dec 19, 2015
    HI
    I use a small Carlsbro COLT 30 Journeyman you may want to have a listen to. (approx. 15x15x10 inches) I can use this for small gigs (80 people), practice and recording and use either a Burns 1964 Bass or a Fender Jazz through it. Solidly built NO RATTLE 1x10" speaker sealed cabinet and handles the lows pretty well. Definitely worth a listen. Big gigs I use 2x15" ported cabs HH (I use 2 of these cabs) fitted with eminence 400's and either a Peavey top or HH vs and slave. But the small Carlsbro surprised me. great for acoustic gigs or the like. I also use a 335 (12 string) through a Fishman Loudbox mini (60watt) and on nights when this is used the only bass amp I take is the Carlsbro. I also have an original 1962 Vox T60 amp head but the innerds are totally replaced as they were unreliable. I redesigned a pre amp and fitted a new 200W power amp into the same case and used the original Mains transformer to power the amp. Sounds fine but very limited tone range being only treble and bass. I like brightness and attack as well as depth on the bass. Hope this helps.

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    And yet another new member resurrects an eleven year old Zombie thread.

The original T60 was a poorly designed cabinet with a 12 and a 15 in the same airspace. The 60W head, IIRC, used germanium output transistors (OC28?) that liked to run away thermally and self destruct.

Using the original power transformer is dangerous as it is completely underrated to power a 200W amp. Not to mention that the smoothing caps should be replaced on an amp that age if you are still using them.

18. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    maybe off topic a little I too have a 64 T60 and I changed the outputs to silicon transistors and rebiased them by changing the resistors and I've had no trouble with it in the last 10 years playing through the original cabinet, sounds ok for that period transistor stuff...

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Again going from ancient memory the whole amp was Germanium not just the outputs. Changing to Silicon is a trick as the drive requirements are completely different. You got it to work so you get a "way to go" from me. :D

I'm off to get a pedicure now. Helps to keep me "grounded!" ;D

20. Fender Rumble 100 1x12 Eminence combo can totally do Vintage tone with ease. Plus plenty of volume for any small bar gig. With D-Class power and the very same front end as the Rumble 500 it is 22 pounds of light weight perfection. $300 Shipped from any major E-tailer. Less if you call and ask for a Christmas discount.