Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vox T-60 Review!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 25, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I recieved my birthday gift of my Vox T-60 Bass amp the other day from Elderly Instruments, and I'm as happy as I was the first time I'd ever played through one of the beasts. Owning a Gallien-Krueger stack, I opted for something with more of a vintage vibe this time, in a relatively small package and found exactly what I wanted for $299.

The amp arrived in perfect condition sans a small tear in the tolex (emailed Elderly regarding this) and it has the sound I remember exactly. The grille is a beautiful vintagey pattern but it only begins to tell the story.

First of all, I set the 4 band EQ to flat, and slowly turned up the volume with my '78 P-bass with TI Jazz Flats up to about a sixth of the way to achieve a nice light rumble. With no shaping, it gives me that vintage sound I've been looking for, and the 12" driver conveys that sound fully. The tweeter has been no use to me yet, but I feel it will come about as this is going to be my college dorm bass amp.

On that note, the bassilator circuit adds even more low end boom and thump to the already vintagey vibe to make one of my favorite all time tones from a modern amplifier. Almost makes you wonder why Vox isn't still making larger bass amps and stacks. The sound is phenominal and the look is great!

Minus the small tear in the tolex (probably from travelling in cold trucks) the amp is anything but exactly what I expected from the name. The vintage look, sound and feel is there in a brand new amp that I trust thus far. Knowing it's a Vox just makes me tingle inside, and frankly, I believe this is the best 60 watt combo for under $300.

Between this and the GK, I have about every tone I could ever need, minus a few vintage SVT's, Sunn 300T's and an Ashdown.

Score: 5/5 Jumping Guys
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Forgot to add the pic to show off my beauty!

3. That thing is kinda cute!...............