Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VOX Yes or No

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wobbleesque, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Wobbleesque

Wobbleesque

Jun 12, 2001
    I play in a 60's ish grarage punk band. I really like the looks of the old Vox Phantoms and Teardrops , and I really like that 60's sound. While talking about getting one , someone told me that they were crap and I would be better off getting an older Fender or Gibson for the price I would pay for a Vox. Realize I'm not playing serious gigs or anything , but I will need it for playing out. I also saw that a company is producing simular bodies , I think it's Phantom Guitar Works ? , any info on that company? Any insight would be appreciated, or alternatives for cool older basses.
    thnx

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I learned to play on an old Vox Mark IV teardrop. I hated it. The Phantom reissues have different electronics, and a thinner neck, if I read their specs right. They look the same, but they aren't the same. I couldn't tell you if that's good or bad.

3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I am posting so I get email notification of any replies as I am interested in these Phantom basses. I have two unreliable and contradictory rumors regarding Phantoms. One, is that they are made in Oregon from the bass player from the old group Quarterflash. Two, they are made in India. Sheesh, that's bad isn't it? But that's what I have heard. bassnw.com sells for around $600, by the way.

4. I like the way Vox guitars and guitar amps sound (and look) a lot. I don't have any experience with the basses though. On a side note, my friend has a really bizzare 60's Vox. It's the Phantom shape (Canoe Paddle) and has 12 strings with a 12 string bigsby vibrato!

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Everything except where they are made.

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The 60's Vox basses used their Ferro Pick-ups. These are hot P/U's. I've owned a few Vox basses over the years and always liked the sound and gain that these basses create.

My first Vox was a 67 Phantom. I loved the shape of it but it had a 2x4 for a neck. This was the same neck used on the Mark IV solid body teardrop.

Today I own a 67 Constellation IV which is a semi-acoustic teardrop with all the built-in on board effects. It has the same Ferro p/u's and produces great solid bass up and down the neck. Now the neck on it was the opposite of the Phantom. The Constellation IV which used the same neck as the other semi-acoustic basses was a toothpick compared to the Phantom's. String spacing is a little tight but very manageable. These necks have a tendency to twist IF heavy gauge strings are used on them because they are so thin. I personally prefer the thin toothpick neck of the semi-acoustic basses rather than the 2x4 neck on the Phantom.

One thing about Vox that you should be aware of is that, during the 60's Vox guitars and basses were made in Italy for the most part. A few early Vox guitars and basses were made in England. However what a lot of people don't know is that the Italian made Voxes were made by two different companies in Italy.
    The Eko guitar plant aka Oliviero Pigini & Co made most of the common models we know of today. However the Semi-acoustic Cougar bass along with the Bobcat and Super Lynx guitars were made by the Crucianelli Co. in Italy.

As far as the newer Phantoms and Teardrops made by Phanton Guitar Works goes, i've never had the opportunity to play one as there are no dealers for them in this country. I understand that production has resumed back in the USA and the quality of their instruments are quite good.

Prices on Vox basses of the 60's have been climbing steadily for the past few years and will only continue to. If you're going to buy one, do it soon.
    Cheers

8. Wobbleesque

Wobbleesque

Jun 12, 2001
    Thanks for all the good info bassman!!! It will help me out alot.
    Thanks,
    chad