vre important question about bridiging!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Aug 22, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    k, i have a crest ca9

i was thinking abot bridging this amp @ 2000 watts at 4 ohms.

my cabinets are accugroove tri210l and accugroove gordo

the 2 10 is 600 watts at 4/8 ohms

the gordo is 800 watts at 8 ohms

can i run a banana plug/speakon cable from the power amp to the tri210, then run another speakon cable from another output jack in the 2 10 into the gordo?

this way, when i have the 2 10 set at 8 ohms, and i run them in series ( is that the corect term?) my total impedence will be 4 ohms..

but, will this harm the 2x10 if i have all the power just bridged into this one cab?

also, how the heck do u connect power amps to pre-amps etc etc etc
  2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Running them together at 8 ohms each will give you 4 ohms... Man that's alot of power. That should sound sweeet!!! BTW what preamp are you using??
  3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    at the moment, i dont even have a pre-amp

i'm trying to trade my wt-600, or sell it, for some quid towards a navigator, or an aguilar or something

thanks for the input
  4. Yup, only thing is while it LOOKS like the cabs are connected in series (cable goes from amp to one speaker and from that speaker to the next), they are actually hooked up in parallel. That's why 2 8's end up at 4 ohms when used together.

You're treating the speaker cable as 1 wire, going from 1 cab to the other. In series howver, there would have to be another cable from the last cab back to the amp.

In reality the speaker cable is 2 wires, both connecting each speaker essentially directly to the amp. Making it parallel.

If the cabs were really hooked up in series, you'd get 16 ohms from 2 8 ohm cabs.

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    hey man

since these cabs woud be wired up paralell, does that mean i should switch my amp to paralell mode?
  6. Nope, if the amp supports bridged mono @ 4 ohms, you're all set with 2 8 ohm cabs in parallel.

Parallel mono if available on your amp I believe is usually used to drive lower impedance loads, like if you had 2 4 ohm cabs, connected in parallel would be like 2 ohm load.

7. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    No, the way you described above would work fine. Since the cabs would be wired in parallel this way, they will each recieve half the power coming from your amp, assuming that both cabs are at equal impedence. Connecting 2 8 ohm cabs, as you imply, gives you a total 4 ohm impedence. DO NOT GO LOWER THAN THIS WHEN BRIDGING YOUR AMP. Keep that selector on 8 ohms. An 8 ohm plus a 4 ohm gives you 2.667 ohms, and I don't think that crest is cool with that, when bridged.

Parallel on your amplifier has nothing to do with how your cabs are wired. Unless yoou get a custom cable, your cabs will always be in parallel. Parallel on your amplifier refers to sending the same signal to both amps in your Crest, so that inputs 1&2 both recieve the signal from input 1. As you are bridging both amps together, effectively creating one giant amplifier, only input one is being used anyway. Therefore, the parallel setting for the inputs would only need to be used if you wanted to send the signal FROM your Crest to another poweramp. Check your manual regarding the setting of the parallel switch regarding bridge mode: some amplifiers require it to have bridged mode work correctly, others, it makes no difference.
  8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    sweet thanks for the heads up

i'll just keep bot cabs at 8 ohms, connect them together and bridge the crest. so it will be briding at 4 ohms( 2000 watts)

thanks everyone!
  9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    You're welcome. Good luck with not blowing your own face off. ;)
  10. FYI, I was referring to parallel mono operation, not "Y" connecting the inputs and using each channel output seperately. From crown website:

Some amps allow parallel mono and bridged, some just allow bridged...