1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

vt bass and red ripper

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by uptowndirt, Jan 20, 2012.

1. uptowndirt

uptowndirt Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    hi, i am thinking of adding a red ripper with my vt bass pedal
    has anyone tried this ? i like the tech 21 effects, taking it further i am thinking of getting the bass chorus boost as well and having a small tech 21 chain. any tech 21 love here ?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Love the VT. Not played the Red Ripper but I've heard demos and it sounds like a cool pedal to me.

3. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Love the Red Ripper but me and the VT are...OK...

As far as the Red Ripper is concerned I really love this thing for the cool synthy/fuzzy tones I get with it. Brassmaster type sounds....check,Moogie synth stabs....check, good stand alone fuzz-box...check. Love the range on its EQ and the way the drive and R.I.P. talk to each other. Its a very expressive little fuzz-box!

4. I love my Bass Chorus Boost... can really do quite alot with it. I plan on picking up the Red Ripper soon. I am thinking that the Red Ripper with the Bass Boost detune should make some cool sounds.

5. Gilian24

Gilian24

May 23, 2010
    You could also wait for another bass fuzz from tech 21. They showed this one on Namm: tech21_boost-fuzz-bass-namm2012_001.

Looks good! with a +clean knob if I'm right.

6. omie

omie Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Arizona
    I feel like I'm the only person who's had a tough time stacking the VT with other dirt. Any dirt I put before the VT, got mashed up and made to sound like the VT. Any dirt I put after it turned to mud(I used a fuzzrocious stache and dark driving, mastotron, and Black Russian BM) FWIW, I loved the VT but wanted more severe heavy OD and fuzz options.

7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Our Character series pedals in general work quite well with distortion, overdrive and fuzz pedals before them. From your description, (mashed up) it sounds like you may have had the VT Bass set with a fair amount of distortion already. How did you have the VT Bass set? If you are using the VT Bass pedal as your main amp tone, an overall cleaner setting will work best with other drive type pedals.

8. omie

omie Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Arizona
    You may be correct, but I had a deluxe that I had set up all over the place, it seems that I would have tried a setting with less distortion but I couldn't tell you my exact settings. No matter what, a great pedal.