1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vt Bass Deluxe vs Regular

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MrJamieScho, Jan 2, 2012.

1. MrJamieScho

MrJamieScho

Jun 29, 2010
    I'm a regular distortion user, big fan of Chris Wolstenholme's tones and that sort of thing. Ive been looking to buy one of the VT bass pedals but I cant decide which!

I'm just using it to tidy up my distorted tone and also get a crunchy clean tone. Would it be worth it paying an extra £90 for the deluxe? Or will it just be wasting money and something I'll never use? Maybe there's an alternative?

Because at the end of the day, it's not like you cant just bend down and change the settings in between songs.

I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about my situation!

Thanks! :)

2. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Maybe it's just me but I found one distortion setting that I liked on the VT and I never really fiddle with it otherwise. YMMV

3. MrJamieScho

MrJamieScho

Jun 29, 2010
    Yeah that's what i was thinking! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use more than one either..

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    You probably don't want the VT if you're going to be trying to copy Chris' tone. A Big Muff Fuzz would be a better choice.

5. MrJamieScho

MrJamieScho

Jun 29, 2010
    I'm not looking to copy it, I was just giving a general idea of what sounds I like :)
    I have a bass big muff and an cm-2 overdrive pedal for my distortion sounds :D

6. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    The VT is an amp emulator and is suppose to emulate the sound of the classic Ampeg SVT head. It does a VERY good job at doing that, but past that it's a one trick pony. If you want SVT style grinds and overdrive then it might be worth getting, but that's not Chris Wolstenholme's tone by a long shot.

Personally, I owned the deluxe for a while and had maybe 3 settings saved. I used two of them regularly, and the other was more of a 'screwing around' sort of sound. I got rid of it for a regular VT, but I ultimately got rid of that as well. Why? Because of what I said before - it's an SVT emulator, and unless you want that sound it's not really worth getting.

Hope that helps!

7. MrJamieScho

MrJamieScho

Jun 29, 2010
    So would not recommend it to basically EQ my tone? Because from the videos i've seen of the VT, it sounds promising

8. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I'm not sure I get what you mean by EQ your tone. If you mean add bumps or dips in certain frequencies then I'd say no, it won't do that. If you mean you want it to change your tone so that it sounds like you're playing out of an SVT then yes, it'll do that.

9. MrJamieScho

MrJamieScho

Jun 29, 2010
    Yeahh, sorry if I phrased it badly! Changing the tone is what I meant :)

10. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    Yeah, I wouldn't bother much with the VT deluxe. There are more than a few here on TB that have gone that route, decided it was too big and not that useful for what was needed, and scaled back down to the regular VT.

I have a VT, version 2, and like it a lot. I am running it through a Genz Benz Shuttle Max 9.2 and it adds a nice warm dimension to that amps clean sound. I like the SVT tone as an option without having to have an SVT head.

Good luck.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not me...the VT Deluxe is my control center for using electric and upright, plus I've got three really cool distortion tones for electric programmed into it. Ya, all it does is SVT and B-15 emulations...isn't that enough? ;)

12. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    vt is a cool pedal. i use it for fattening up my tone, i dont like any of the distorted/od sounds it has

13. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    If you want to change the tone of an already distorted sound I would suggest our Para Driver DI or an EQ pedal. Because our SansAmp products are amp emulators they work best with a clean platform. While you can stack overdrives, fuzz etc. in general you don't stack the sound of a distorted amp into another distorted circuit. Too mushy, noisy and compressed.

The VT can get a nice fuzz sound if you crank the drive and character controls up full, turn the mid control counter clockwise and back off the low and highs.You might also consider our Red Ripper which is a dedicated distortion effect. That has the benefit of a wide ranging post EQ section as well as the low pass filter switch that makes it easier to tailor the sound with different amplifiers which I think is what you are trying to accomplish. The problem with many distortion, fuzz and overdrive units is that they have very simple passive tone networks with limited tonal flexibility.