1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VT Bass DI questions. General DI question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by creis2, Mar 12, 2013.

1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    First question, when will this be released?

Second question. I already have a VT bass, currently thinking if buying the DI, would be worth the extra features?

Broad DI question:

My two heads have a DI, Ashdown ABM and Genz Streamliner. When playing live or recording, would it be best to DI out before the signal hits the amp (using the VT bass) or to use the DI at the end of the signal (my head)?

2. For recording, go with the least noise. It's also common to record the track and then put it through processing.

For live, if your amp EQ is extreme you might want to send effected but not EQ'd bass to the PA and leave EQ over to them. Otherwise, post everything DI works for me.

3. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The pedal should be shipping by May.

Only you can decide if the extra features are worth it. I come from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" side of things.

It usually helps to have access to a separate DI than the one on your head. Some amps have great DI's but every now and then I've seen where the DI on a head will just be noisey and a different DI needs to be used.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The DI on your Streamliner (in pre-eq position) is as good as just about any common DI on the market, plus its driven by the input tube stage so there's some subtle tube influence and character present. It's a true tube driven active DI.

5. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    The benefit of using a DI in front of your amp is that you'll still have FOH if the amp fails.

6. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    I don't even bring amps anymore. I use a VT into a di box. You didn't specify if you have enough pa Support for that or not

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd go out the amp because the amp will add its own juice as well.

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you don't care about the speaker sim defeat switch (my case), the VT Bass Deluxe is great too. Effects loop, you have a lot of the DI features, and who wouldn't love 5 more presets of VT at your disposal?? :bassist:

9. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    The Blend knob and Bite button make the DI pretty tempting over the Deluxe and original versions. I only plan to use it as a dirt box, but the DI feature is good as a backup.

10. I'm not an Ampeg guy, as I went from Tri A.C., to PSA-1, to Leeds, to Oxford, and now have a Liverpool on the way.

But I am interested in hearing the VT-DI just because of the clean blend and "bite". I have used my friend's BDDI(that I gave him) direct half-blended with an overdrive into it with great results.