1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VT Bass, Enough For Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IsThisIt, Apr 19, 2010.

1. IsThisIt

IsThisIt

Oct 27, 2008
    (disclaimer: I tried a search but the search engine ignores VT (less than 3 characters) and bass (as it is common) so.. new thread...)

I have heard a lot about the VT Bass pedal. After reading the description for it, it seems like it gives a lot of EQ control in addition to distortion. My question is, do you guys use this for distortion? or more for the EQ/amp tone options?

I am looking for the perfect distortion pedal (I bought a Metal Muff w/ Top-Boost and am not happy with it, as it is just too weak on the Bass end of things.) I am thinking of returning it and trying out the VT Bass or the EHX Bass Muff.

Does the VT Bass meet all your distortion needs? Or do you use the VT Bass AND a distortion pedal?

Thanks guys!

Mike

2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    What kind of distorted sound are you interested in? "The perfect distortion" is subjective to your taste.

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I thought it did mild OD very well.

4. IsThisIt

IsThisIt

Oct 27, 2008
    I am in an alt-rock/pop group at the moment; our lead singer is a woman with a Kelly Clarkson kind of voice. The distortion I'm looking for is more of an alternative kind of Yeah-Yeah-Yeah's sort of deal. Something punchy and rough.

5. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    if thats what you're after, in my opinion the vt wouldn't be your best bet. it does cop the svt/fliptop vibe pretty well though, but its more of a mild od sound.

6. kugelspot

kugelspot

Jun 8, 2009
    I don't know. From my understanding, the VT Bass is in the same ballpark as the SFT, and I can get the tone (that I think) you're going for.

If that's not heavy enough, a Rat (or boutique Rat clone if you've got the cash) is probably what you're looking for.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the vt goes from mild to pretty rough, but not like a rat pedal with that angry heavy distortion that isn't quite fuzz.

8. If you're going for a Yeah Yeah Yeah's style bass, shouldn't you get a mute pedal? :D

Seriously, I wouldn't guy the VT as a distortion device. It does a really good mild-OD/angry SVT drive, but any more than that and it tends to sould pretty ice-pickish and harsh to me. I leave mine all the time and run my other dirt into it. The VT really shines as a sort of "dirt booster.". My Disnortion compliments the VT really well.

9. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    Pretty much in 100% agreement with this.

Only difference is I use a home made dirt section of the Box of Rock which is pretty much the same thing anyway.

10. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Search it on youtube, quite a few clips of the VT, sansamp, etc....

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I find the VT bass is an excellent character pedal but I don't like its distortion.

12. PunkSweeper

PunkSweeper

Jan 23, 2010
    Does anyone put loads of clean boost in front of an SVT for heavy distortion? Just wondering.

13. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    like they said, it does mild OD well. when i recorded with it last week i went clean VT DI signal to the board and from the out of the VT into my modded Tubescreamer to the board and then just blended them in the mix

14. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I own the VT and Boss ODB-3 and when I was playing in my punk band and needed to distort I always went with the Boss and used the VT for the SVT tone and warmth.

15. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    really! i think its a taste thing buddy, my metal muff sounds like god gargling nails thru my rig! and if you eq it right it can be bassy as hell! the problem i only use it on a few solo spots and a little intro to a song but i find with most bass distortions they get lost easy in a band mix that has dirty guitars in it.

andy

16. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    The VT Bass can produce some gnarly distorted tones.

However, I prefer the VT set relatively clean (very mild distortion) with another distortion pedal in front of it.
    I'm using a Xotic BB into the VT Bass.

17. I also used a Metal Muff. it was too cold sounding for me, but there was plenty of disrtion to be had. I now have a Blackstar HT Dual Distortion which I love. There is more warmth, better dynamics, and more tonal options than the MM. So either that or get a tube guitar head.