1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VT Bass into MarkBass Effects Loop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MostlyBass, Mar 26, 2013.

1. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I did a search and came up with several old threads that are close but not exactly so...

I just decided to try my VT Bass through my MarkBass Jeff Berlin (Combo Head II) effects loop rather than the input.

The sound seems much thicker and richer sounding. It seems this setup is functioning as a blend between the input and the loop. Is this in fact the case?

The other posts had said that the effects loop send may be too hot of a signal for the VT but, at least for this amp, this does not seem to be the case as turing up the gain did not cause extra / unwanted distortion.

I had been running two VTs between my bass and the input - one for general tone and one for fuzz. But having one in the line and one in the loop has me rethinking this. Can anyone comment as two positives / negatives or advantages / disadvantages to either setup?

Thank you!

2. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Ok so the effects loop is in parallel as stated on the MarkBass site.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, you are getting a thicker sound because the signal is being doubled; it's like an analog chorus except without the swooshing sound. I would also bet that the clean signal is partly out of phase with the loop signal, but (because of the multiple gain stages and EQ) not exactly out of phase, and that's a good thing. It means more fatness, less signal cancellation.

The business about the levels being too high/too low in the loop is something to be aware of as a general possibility, but as you have found, it's not always the case. Experimentation is key. :)

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Thank you for the info, Bongo. I appreciate your expertise!!

5. It works,

yay!

Carry on...

6. slipitin

slipitin Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    London
    I have found fx sends to push the vt too much. Sounds great in the loop at home level, good loud too in rehearsal...but try and go really loud or compete with a guitarist's ego rig and you can't employ your master vol or boost to any proper effect because the headroom has gone and you're already too close to overloading the loop...resulting in ssssskrrrrreaaaaaachhhhh.

You're better off putting it in front and using the pedal controls to dial back in the tonality you liked when running it in the loop (you might get close) and you'll still have volume to play with, IMHO.