1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VT Bass Speaker Sim Bypass Mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tsunami1052, Jan 15, 2011.

1. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk?

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    Just got my VT Bass Speaker Sim Bypass Mod by Mike Putnam. Speaker sim rolls off highs and lows - works good for direct recording, but I feal the bypass mod really opens up when run through a cab.

I have 2 svt-210av's so felt that I would give the mod a try, because they allready roll off the highs and cut the very lows and are generally heavy in the upper mids. Verdict - love it. So I posted a quick sound clip (through my laptop so quality is poor) and thought I'd share.

Speaker Sim is ON for the first half and OFF in the second part.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10129685&q=hi

P.S. No settings changed on the VT, just the bypass switch.

2. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    The new VT has a speaker sim on/off button. I'll sell my current VT and buy a new one.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Why not send yours to Putnam and get it modded instead? It will be a whole lot less hasle I would think.

4. Would be cool to have two outputs, one with the speaker sim and the other without...

5. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    LOL, personally, thought you sounded better with the Sim on. Oh well......

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I agree, but I think he's right that it would be a different ball game in a live setting, running through a cab.

7. There's something I wanna ask. in The VT Deluxe, does the Speaker Simulation affect all of the outputs, or just the XLR D.I output?

sliverhandsbass likes this.
  8. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Yes, I never liked speaker simulation through a cab.

9. tsunami1052

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    The speaker sim through the svt-210av cabs makes is sound dull and muffled. With the sim off its sounds more open. It sounds kinda harsh straight into the sound card. But through the cabs it's got a little more depth and presence. Running a Eden Wt400 set flat.

Clip was recorded direct into cheap sound card with a Ray34 and new DR Sunbeams.

I should record a new take with the cabs and a microphone.

Done:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?q=hi&songID=10143789

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?q=hi&songID=10144041

I need a new audio interface!! Thats what happens when you go cheap.

10. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The parallel output provides a buffered signal at all times of your unaffected bass sound. The xlr and 1/4" outs provide the SansAmp outs and your unaffected signal when in bypass mode.

11. how much did the mod cost? and how long did it take for you to get it back with shipping?

also tsunami are those clips with the mod? i want to get an idea of what it could sound like running into my soundcard

12. reddi

reddi

Jan 7, 2010
    Is the cab sim on for the first part and off for the second on these clips?

13. tsunami1052

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    Cab Sim on the first part off each clip & off the second part.

63.00 with shipping. Took about a week for Mr. Putnam to do the mod and ship it back.

Now that I have had time to run it with several cabs - the cab sim has more lows and a lot more high's! I find with the Avatar SB112 tweeter @ 9:00 I still have to turn down the highs on the VT Bass or its way to bright with the cab sim off.

With the cab sim off in the second part of the clip (settings the same) you can tell how much brighter it is!
    Settings on recording:

Level -12:00
    Mid - 12:30
    Character - 11:30
    Drive - 10:00
    Low - 12:00
    High - 10:30 - 11:00

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021