1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VT bass TRUE flat settings.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sigshooter226, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    Hi guys,
    I am searching for true flat VT settings. I saw a bunch of graphs and such but I am unable to view them. I'm hoping @JimmyM can share his info with me?

zenrubrica likes this.
  2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I'd bet you're thinking of dannybuoy's thread, but the graph links are dead.

3. The old hosted images for this are now gone, but I measured it as flat with the treble almost all the way off and all the other knobs just a tiny nudge past noon.

VT Bass frequency response plots

This was before the v2 with the speaker sim model. I picked up both that one and the DI and found them to sound pretty different to the V1 though!

derrico1 likes this.
  4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Ah. Also check out oldognewtrick's thread

5. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    Great. yes, looking for the VT Bass Deluxe.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's the same for the VT Deluxe as the regular VT. Honestly, it's been a while since I've needed to mess with the knobs on my VTD, but it seems to me it was bass 12:30, character and mids slightly past noon, and treble somewhere between 9:00 and 10:00...can't decide which one I think it is using my ears, and can't remember what I ultimately decided on. But I've gone through and tried everyone's settings who measured them, and the Tech 21 rep who comes on here also has official Tech 21 flat settings, and we're all real close in the ballpark of each other but it seems we slightly disagree here and there. I just wish I could remember everyone's settings, but I've pretty much settled on those settings. If anything it'll get you quite close to flat, anyway.

Planespotter and Sigshooter226 like this.
  7. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    Thank you. I also remember reading somewhere that you though the fliptop setting was closer to an actual SVT? Anyhow, I appreciate your input.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's closer to the sound -I- get out of my SVT :D The suggested SVT settings sound too scoopy to me. I mean, they're legit sounds you can get out of SVT's, but they're not my thing.

Planespotter likes this.
  9. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    From here.

Sigshooter226 likes this.
  10. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    Cool. Out of curiosity, what is your preferred setting?

11. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    This! You win the Talkbass today. Thanks!

Pbassmanca and Ba55Man1ac like this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The one I gave you, although when I add drive, I do increase bass response accordingly.

Sigshooter226 likes this.
  13. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    My personal favorite VT Bass setting was: setting it in a box, to ship, to someone who bought it from me.
    :laugh:

Wfrance3 and FaithNoMan like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Always an out of work comedian around.

15. I liked both posts :)

(So make that two out of work comedians)

Hey @JimmyM, is it hot and humid enough in CenFL for us today?

JimmyM and SunnBass like this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    About as humid as it gets without raining. Holy geez!

FaithNoMan likes this.
  17. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I've been rocking a vt ver2 for a while now and I bloody love the thing. Been wanting a deluxe for ages so I can use all the tones I like easily and will get to use more than 1 tone per song rather than trying to match the vt grit with other pedals.

I finally found one and snapped it up but had to sell the ver2 to get money for it so I won't be able to a/b them, but I'm guessing the deluxe will be a bit brighter without the 6db per octave Rolloff. I wonder whether I'll be able to notice the Rolloff being absent. Will find out in a couple of days!!!

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Did you get the newer V2 Deluxe with the speaker sim switch or the older one without it? If you got one with the switch, it should be identical to the pedal except for the programming capability. Without it, it should be identical to the V2 with the switch off.

19. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Nar it's an original with no Sim switch

20. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Good thread!

I love my v2 VT Bass. (I've had the VTDI and VTDeluxe. For some reason the v2 seems to work better for me? Probably just in my head....) I use it for low OD and to "tighten up my tone" in a boomy room. I think flat is Treble about 9:00, Drive off and the other knobs slightly past noon.

I like to use it with Drive around 9:00, Speaker Sim engaged, Treble alllll the way off, and the other knobs at noon or just slightly past, like not even 12:30. More like 12:15. If I'm playing with adults that know how to stay out of bass' way on a gig I'll drop the Character knob down a little to 11:30-ish. Otherwise I use the Character control more like a Mid control to cut through. With the Drive at a low setting it (the Character control) seems to act like the Mid control but with an attitude. Again: Maybe it's just in my head?