1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VT Bass vs DHA VT-1??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fretwear, May 8, 2010.

1. fretwear

fretwear

Mar 7, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    How does VT Bass compare to the DHA VT-1. I was all set on getting a VT Bass, and then I found info on DHA products? There's a bunch of DHA pedals, but It looks like the VT-1 is close to the VT Bass??
    I'm using passive basses G&L and Fender P, MB LMIII, GK neo 112. Looking to fatten the tone on the 8ohm load of a single 112 and add some grit, blues tones, etc.
    When running a 4ohm 2)112 load this rig is very full sounding, might need to explore my EQ setting on the 8ohms.
    Or is there a prefered/ suggested pedel for what I'm wanting, like another DHA pedal, or another brand all together?
    Thanks

2. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I just received the DHA VT1 EQ Bass pedal 1 week ago and I can't believe how I got by without it for so long......

Fat, warm, tubey bass coming out of a passive bass with soapbars through a Markbass LMII (head and/or combo (I have both) into the 12" combo (CMD121P) or a Schroedder Mini 12 L+ 4 ohm cab or any of the cabs we use at the rehearsal space (10's, 12's or 15's). I highly recommend the DHA pedal. It's taken the place of an overdrive, a BDDI and an Aphex Exciter. All I have on my board is a tuner>Xotic BB Bass (just for different dist.)>DHA>amp. Perfect for Blues and Rock and anything else you want to play......There is a thread I started just a few weeks ago on this same subject, you should read it.......

3. fretwear

fretwear

Mar 7, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for the info, I see the VT1 EQ has more feratures than the VT-1, did you get your head phones to work?

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've owned both the VT Bass and the VT-1. It's a bit hard to put their differences into words, but here's an attempt:

The DHA has a very fat, thick, warm tube sound. When driven hard, it gets that high nasal preamp-tube buzz dirt. The VT is more like a clean tube amp at low gain settings, and turns into a ratty distortion at high gain. The VT is specifically voiced to sound like certain Ampeg models, while the DHA has its own voicing. They have equal amounts of background hiss. The VT is smaller and doesn't need a special power supply. The DHA is more versatile.

Personally I like the DHA sound quality better--but that's subjective. Generalizing, I would steer someone to the DHA if they ask for "a fat warm tube sound" whereas I would steer someone to the VT if they wanted "a B15 or lightly driven SVT sound". Of course all of that is wide open to interpretation. :)

5. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Right on Bongomania....good explanation.
    Will be taking it to a tech to have the headphone line out looked at. My headphones work on my PC. It's probably something really silly that happened in shipping. Anyway, Dave Hall sent me a discount to pay for the repair.

6. fretwear

fretwear

Mar 7, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for the review, that helps a bunch. I'll have to keep a look out for these, at some point I'll snag one or both....