1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VT Bass vs. Submarine? (and) Is the VT still well thought of?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I have been given the heads up on a possible sub sale, but I find myself still quite curious about the VT. Im thinking even if I do get the sub I might still get a VT to compare the 2. From the little I had it, I remember the VT making distortion more awesome, but still being quite ballsy without anything else running.

Anyone else own or owned both at one time?

Also, I remember there being quite the hype around the VT. Do a lot of people still use it after all this time?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I hate the VT now. I hate it so much I threw it out because I couldn't bring myself to sell it to some poor sap.

:D

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I hate my VT too. I took it in, gave it a home, and it repaid me by sleeping with my wife.

4. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    It isn't well thought of by my SVT, who doesn't like being left at home for the gigs with tiny stages or lots of stairs in favour of a runty copycat. But they get along, hate is too strong a word. Sincerest form of flattery and all that...

5. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    i have both. didnt think much of the vt bass the first few weeks. but i like it alot more s off this afternoon. vt bass and sub. apples and oranges. depends what you want to use it for.

6. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I have both. Get them both. I'm not going to try to talk you in to it, just do it.

7. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I own and use both. The VT is first in my chain and the Submarine is last. Different but both good products.

The Sub is so simple and great sounding while the VT is a little more sensitive to knob position with the added feature of doing distortion.

Get both.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I don't think you can really compare them. The Submarine simply makes more of what you got with a single tone control.

The VT gives you full 3-band control, and the ability to change SVT vibes.

Different beasts. If anything I'd compare the Submarine to something like an Xotic Bass RC Booster, but the RC has separate bass and treble tone controls.

9. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    I fed my VT Bass to the dog. Now everytime it barks, it's a warm, tube-overdriven bark.

:D

10. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    I HAD a VT...sold it, got a Submarine. Lovin it. I really like the Sub...what it does, and what it does NOT do...

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    4-band, but who's counting?

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    LOL. Totally made my day with this post :D

13. I have them both. Can't really compare them because they don't do the same thing. The Submarine is simpler to use since it only has two knobs. Not as much variety of tones as the VT but it just enhances the sound nicely. If I had to pick only one that I was going to use on a regular basis I would have to go with the Submarine.

14. If U can get your hands on a Submarine, don't pass the chance. I luv mine so much I want another.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a VT. If I used effects, I would use it.

16. Sharkman

Sharkman

Apr 23, 2004
    Portugal
    Well, just a bit of Hijackment.... If I have an MXR M-80, would it make sense to have the VT bass on the start of the signal chain and the M-80 in the end?
    1 - DI output with all the effects
    2 - Two Eq sections, pre and post effects (There would be a FX-loop probably...)

Does this make sense to you?? (sorry for capturing the thread...)

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Thanks for the responses. Plan is to pick up a VT and Ebow at the same time, mostly to get free shipping, since I think I can assume that if the VT doesn't quite do it, I can easily sell it here anyways. And I've been meaning to pick up an Ebow for a while :D I won't be passing up any opportunity that comes up to get a Sub, and will definitely be getting the designer edition when it eventually appears :D

I really wish I'd had more time with the VT to be able to absolutely answer that. The impression I got of the VT, and the impression I get from the M-80 is that they are meant for more final tone shaping.

It obviously doesn't mean that you can't run VT->effects->M-80. Hell, I ran VT->MicroBassII for the little time I had both :D I mostly used the VT's higher gain settings with the MBII tho, and honestly the VT would prolly have been replaced by a something better suited for distortion.

The 3 band on the VT seemed to have a pretty good range IIRC, but the character seemed to only really affect the sound if I had a lot of treble from the bass, a distortion running into the VT, or if the VT was set for highish gain.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The character knob's really just another EQ knob...don't know the center but it's somewhere in the 800 hz range.

19. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy - you just spilled the beans!! Now the VT will be the most sought after pedal ever due to the hidden EQ knob. Better get my out of the trash.

20. All I know is that before I had a VT, my life was gray and dismal; after getting my VT, my teeth are brighter, my truck gets better MPG, and small animals gather at my feet and look upon me adoringly (bit annoying really, as I keep tripping over the stupid little beggars and causing PETA to protest me...).

I still like mine, in spite of all that...