1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VT BASS vs. Xotic Bass BB

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapstick13, Apr 29, 2010.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Anyone A/B'ed these two pedals before? Not happy with my vt bass, curious about how the Xotic compares.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've owned them both- the Xotic is a much better overdrive IMO- more bassy/grunty with less hiss, but the VT bass has a lot of functions besides being an overdrive. The Xotic can work okay as a clean preamp, but won't give you all the different tonal possibilities and the full EQ the VT can.

3. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I use both, but as wonderful as the Xotic BB is, the VT is last, always on, and essential to my sound. I also use a Devi Karaoki Party for overdrive with more midrange color. The BB is for when I need more low end and bright overdrive. (The new guitar one has a mid dial added) I have noticed that the BB Pre, like some overdrives, doesn't like a heavy attack...it seems to pause and swell before getting through so lighter picking is actually louder. The VT has an immediate response with all the midrange you need to cut in a mix (even if it sounds ugly solo'd, that ugliness helps at high volume)

4. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Since I've never gotten to try one, how well does the VT Bass emulate the tube sound??

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Get both, the BB into the VT sounds better than either pedal alone.

6. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Well. I'm very impressed with mine. I'm running Fender Jag --> Big Muff --> VT --> GK MB115 and absolutely love it. I'm not impressed with the OD on the VT, but I didn't want it for the OD anyway.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    vt: pedal of the future. first ss product i ever heard that nails the tones. doesn't nail the big presence of the tube amp, but the sounds are there. love it, use it with my svt and b-15. getting a vt deluxe as well.

8. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I'm running a Xotic BB preamp (the orange one) as distortion into a VT bass.
    It works for me.

9. ExurKun

ExurKun

Sep 29, 2009
    Rochester
    im interested to hear this too