1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VT Bass with Distortion Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PauBass, Apr 25, 2010.

1. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    I see there's a lot of praise for the VT bass and I was thinking of buying one myself but I'm wondering how it responds when you run overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals into it?

Anyone has any soundclips, please?

I have also read some people mentioning the pedal can be quite noisy, is this the case? If so, does it get even noisier when running distortions into it?

2. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    I run an Ashdown Lomenxo overdrive and a bass big muff into mine with great results
    just takes a bit of tweaking to get your volume levels right
    Have got a sounclip or two but not sure how to post em up here

3. I find that my VTbass makes every fuzz/od/distortion (except for the mxr blowtorch) sound better.

4. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    You'll have to upload the file to a hosting site like soundclick and then post the link here.

5. i run the vt with bbm fuzz and i like the sound of the fuzz with the vt. without the vt it doesnt cut through at all
    sorry cant find the clip

6. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    A little off topic here, but I have just bought a Lomenzo overdrive and it hasn't arrived yet, and I was wondering if you had tried running the Bass Big Muff into it? Or vice versa?

7. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    No clips of it yet - but I run a Xotic BB into my Vt Bass and really like the tone. I prefer the BB's distortion to that in the VT bass - YMMV

8. I leave my VT on all the time, and it works great to add texture and grit and (for lack of a better term) balls to every flavor of dirt I have ever run into it, minus synth effects.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    You can use any distortion pedal with the vt bass. I found one youtube clip of someone using the vt bass with a boss odb-3. on the last minute of this clip, this guy starts demonstration how the tech 21 vt bass sounds with the boss odb-3.

10. Just picked up a VT Bass a couple days ago. I was a bit dubious until I tried it, but it does what it's meant to do very well.

I set the VT for very light overdrive and wanted to use another overdrive to boost my level and add a bit more grind. Putting the overdrive before the VT, the signal boost would hit the VT too hard and I wouldn't be able to add any gain on the overdrive without it getting way too distorted for my taste. Although not the way the VT is intended to be used, I got the sound I was looking for by putting the overdrive after the VT. That way I could get the volume boost from the overdrive without effecting the VT and could add whatever sound I wanted over the top of the VT.

Just something to think about.
    Joe

11. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    That's exactly what I want to do, have my tone on the VT bass and some kind of distortion to boost for more overdriven parts.

12. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    @Brucebass3901
    i've been doing this for a couple of years now. Some hugely big sounds to be found here.
    muff into lomenzo can do a great hysteria, and other monstrous tones are fairly easy to find too!

have fun!
    pm me for settings etc... if you would like a starting point!!

13. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I have a EHX Big Muff Pi running into the VT and it sounds remarkably better. Hard to explain, but it just sounds clean. Distorted, yet warm and clean. Wait, am I still talking about pedals?

14. At least for me, it seemed like I could do a clean boost before the VT Bass, which gets a little more grind out of the VT or I could do a boosted overdrive after the VT, but a boosted overdrive before the VT Bass was too much for my tastes. I would imagine an overdrive before the VT Bass would play fine, as long as you aren't boosting the input level to the VT.

So, yes, go for it. Just be sure to try out all your different options to see what works for you.

Joe