1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VT Deluxe + Active Bass = :(

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdwhitak, Jul 25, 2012.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm the proud papa of a new G&L M-2500. I plugged it into the VT Deluxe last night and it doesn't sound all that great. All of my presets pretty much sound the same. It's not like this with my passive G&L SB-1. I can hear clear tonal differences with it. Are the VTs not good for active? Do I need a DI with an active bass? I'm looking at the new 3Leaf Enabler. Can anybody comment on it?

2. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    All of my basses are active and I have no problems with the VT Bass pedal...but I will say that it takes quite some time to "learn" all the subtle nuances of that pedal.

Re The Enabler...it is an absolute HOME RUN!!! I also have an EBS Micro Bass II that did the job well enough but not even in the same league as The Enabler!!!

3. Coldmilk

Coldmilk

Jun 13, 2011
    San Diego
    If you can, try powering your VT Deluxe with 18v. Should bring up more headroom.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Or it'll fry it! Not recommended unless Tech 21 recommends it, and I doubt they do since I've never seen them recommending it.

When you change basses, especially if they're quite different from your previous, the entire character of your tone is different, and your pedals are going to need adjusting. The VTD presets aren't going to behave the same way. That's just how it go.

5. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    +1

You can't spare a preset for your active bass? A lot of people have the Deluxe-version mainly for this; different bass, different preset.

6. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    The VT kills with all my passive fenders, but not my deluxe jazz.

It just sounds super 'emulaty' with my Sadowsky and Spector. Boomy and Clanky and hollow but harsh. It is like butter with the passive fenders. Smooth but powerful. Weird, but hey.

I have the VT v1 and deluxe and they sound identical with all basses.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You just finished telling us they don't sound identical with all basses, and now you say they do. Which is it?

:D

EDIT: Oops, I get what you're saying now...the VT v1 and VTD sound identical...sorry. I'll leave it up just to give the rabble something to goof on ;)

8. jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm powering the VTD with phantom power through my audio interface. I plan on redoing my pedal board in the near future and I'm going to upgrade pretty much everything. I do plan on getting dedicated power for all the pedals.

The weird thing is that I get a volume drop with the active bass on the VTD versus my passive. I guess I'll have to set aside some presets for the active.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't like the VTD with phantom power. I've only done it once briefly, and I thought it lost some balls.

10. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    It is not recommended to use an 18 volt power supply with any of our products.

The problem with the G&L M-2500 and the VT Deluxe has more to do with your bass having a preamp. The problem can be twofold. The EQ and gain structure. I would suggest setting the EQ controls on your bass flat so you are not stacking EQ's. My other suggestion is to either alter the presets on the VT for the gain structure of the active bass or try to match the volume of the active bass to your passive one.