1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VT Deluxe MOD (w/pics)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    This is my new VT Deluxe! Got it through Mike Putnam with the BLEND MOD. :hyper:

I was able to order my pedal right through Mike's website and he did the Mod and got it to me fast!

4996958443_45b5bdf478_o.jpg
    4996958393_c63693126e_o.jpg

I was also thinking about getting a headphone driver mod. I would love to sit down after the kids go to sleep and practice in the living room with my headphones. That will be next. :bassist: After that, maybe the parametric mid-sweet Mod.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, i'm thinking about mike's loop mod, but i'll tell you, i'm having a hard time justifying it just to add octaver to the upright on a couple song endings. and yet i find myself strangely pulled toward that direction ;)

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    i would get it. you'll use it for other things once you have it.

i really wanna get that headphone driver mod. i'd be playing right now if i had it. :bassist: how about a little slogan for the headphone driver...

"for when others are sleeping, OR if you just suck and nobody wants to hear you."
    :p:p:p

i don't know when i'll get it. i don't wanna be w/out my new toy yet... i JUST got it. :crying:

sorry, i'm getting a little obnoxious with my face here. it's late, g'nite.

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Funny typo... but it's not entirely wrong, is it?

5. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    I'm in the dark. What does this mod do?

6. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Fraser, MI
    +1

And where is this guys website and can a headphone mod be done a regular VT?

7. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    The blend mod? It blends the clean sound and the VT sound. :)

Joe

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike Putnam's website is
    http://www.putnamguitars.com

If the website doesn't load the first time, refresh. :D It does that sometimes. He has a list of available mods and welcomes and Mod ideas. If you can dream it up, he can probably do it.

Or, give him a call and talk about different options. He's patient and professional. (716) 622-2000

9. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Very cool man, hope I get to see it out in the wild at Goodbar.

10. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Aha, thanks Joe. That would not be applicable for me, as I use the VTD as the brain for my amp and run it directly into a power amp. I have no other bass head anymore. I fell head over flipping heals in love with the original VT and a year after running the tone controls flat on my GK, I finally sold it and have been going with just a clean power amp since.

11. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Right on brother! How are you?! Congrats on that BOOM win!!!

12. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Just got an opportunity to see and hear the mid sweep Mod yesterday! Sweeeeeeeeet :bassist:

13. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    nice!
    let us know how it work out

14. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Another HUGE +1 for Mike at Putnam

He rehoused my Sovtek Big Muff,added 9V power,true bypass, alpha pots and made one cap or resistor change I can't explain.

Great work and great guy to deal with.

I had a VT and sold it but the idea of one with a blend and the option to turn off the speaker simulation is calling to me.
    I'm not sure about the extra mid control as there is plenty of tone control on these already.

Off topic a little if you don't mind.

I sold the VT pedal before I had my Ampeg SB-12.....I wonder if they could be used together with good results?

Jimmy,
    Do you use yours with your B-15's?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    you bet! but with them i use it as an overdrive.

16. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Does the pedal now recall a different blend setting with each preset ? Or is it the same, manual, blend setting for all presets ?

Andy

17. PutnamGuitars

PutnamGuitars Commercial User

Dec 24, 2009
    http://putnamguitars.com
    Owner: Putnam Guitars Inc.
    The Blend and Mid Freq Mods are manual and not in the programmed settings as there are only 6 i/o used for the 6 stock knobs... however, the programmed patches can be set so that the desired level to mix with the Blend Pot - and/or the desired mid level to compliment the Mid Freq Pot is obtained.

The Blend is nice for mixing the clean signal with the VT tones, especially with the programmable VT Deluxe, as you can use it for mixing anything from think and wooly to mix in a little clarity, or to saturated overdrive fuzz to mix in some solid bottom end.

The headphone Mod did originate in the regular VT Bass, but can be installed in any pedal offering enough real estate inside.

18. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Thanks!

I'm really thinking about a regular VT with the sim off and blend mods only. The Deluxe is overkill for my simple uses....and my wallet. ;)

19. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I read elsewhere (and it's consistent with my experience of the VT Bass, don't have the deluxe) that the flat position for the treble control is about 9 o'clock.

What chance of a mod that puts that back to 12 o'clock, giving more treble cut at 7:00 and less treble boost at 5:00, I wonder ?

That, in combination with something that makes it easier to adjust for unity gain (rather than fiddling to get the level control exactly to 7:32, say) would make the deluxe into a really useful pedal, a potential substitute for my PODxt which only really gets used for amp sim anyway.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread ... it looked appropriate.

Andy

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    it's a fine thread for that question.

there is a very good reason the treble is so hot on the vt. a lot of svt fans love the sound with the ultra-hi switch on. if the treble wasn't that hot, you couldn't get it.

anyway, i fail to see what difference it makes where the knob points to. there are a tiny handful of amps and preamps for bass that have near flat response, and there isn't a cab on earth that has it, either. so if in order to get your sound the way you like it it means you can't have all your knobs at noon, so be it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021