1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VT (or VTD) plus fEarful (or other modern cab) equals: ?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timbledum, Sep 16, 2010.

1. So I've been sucked into the hype of two of the most prevalent TB topics. Some people call them fads, some people swear by them, but it is undeniable that they are hot topics of conversation around here. I'm talking about the fEarful cabs and the VT/VTD Tech21 Pedals. Due to distance from the US and lack of funds I haven't invested in either and only had a chance to play around with the VT pedal, yet I'm seriously considering grabbing/building them both.

In various threads I've heard conflicting things about this combination. Some say all you need is the VT plus fEarful to cop a light, accurate SVT tone that transfers well to PA, while some say that the fEarful exposes the flaws in the VT, and the combo does not satisfactorily emulate the SVT tube head/810 rig. In my mind, any difficulty in getting a VT to sound good through a fEarful would pay off as the FOH engineers would get a signal more usable, and you would hear more of what the FOH engineers would get.

My question is, has anyone actually tried this combo, how did they find it, and would they recommend it. I'm not actually looking to perfectly emulate an SVT rig, just be able to cop it, but with all the advantages of a fEarful (versatility, dispersion, ability to handle low notes, weight) and with a smaller hit to the wallet to boot. I'm thinking of building a 12126 btw.

Quotes from threads (just to show I've searched but I would like to reopen discussion). If nothing else I've collated a number of posts on the issue for searches ;) (those people who actually do search :ninja:)

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just for my quote, the VT bass is not a high end modeling rig.

That said: I use an MXR M80 through my rig on a regular basis for copping SVT-ish dirty tones, and I have no problem coming close enough for band mix work.

I think that the people who were having issues with the VT copping a vintage 8x10 tone were either being too picky (noticing subtle differences, or expecting monster bass out of the VT, which it doesn't deliver) or not doing it right.

It's my opinion that in order to satisfactorily emulate that SVT/810 tone, you need to:
    1) Have a recording that you like as an example tone
    2) Start with a VT bass and an extra eq. 2-band parametric or 7 band graphic should do it.

Lots of people expect to get the sound in their head just by twirling knobs and remembering, but it's worth your effort to be a little more scientific about it.

It's distinctly possible you will need to boost in the low mids somewhere to get enough punchiness out of the 15/6, since IIRC, the VT Bass does not have any means of adding at 300-400hz.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the vt isn't high end, but just like a lot of non-high-end products, has found its way into many studio situations, and will sound excellent in them.

as for needing an eq with the vt, you may, and you may not. the vt's eq is pretty interactive, and all the knobs seem to affect all the other knobs in some way, especially the character knob. can't say i ever had a problem getting what i wanted with simple eq's, but others may.

i still pretty much stand behind what i said earlier, though. it will cop a very good likeness of a mic'ed svt going through the pa, but i think those who are familiar with the sound of an svt/810 will be able to tell the difference.

4. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    Any other opinions on this? I have Standard P into a VT into a LM II on top of a fearful 15/6 and don't notice any low end loss, but seem to lack the low mids. I have to have the highs turned off on the vt or i get clank. I am still kinda undecided, since I really haven't used this setup in a band situation yet, only at practice volumes. Thinking about trying out a Tone Hammer and A/Bing them. I have a lot of tonal ideas I want to cop, but one that really sticks with me is Dan Maines of Clutchs' overdriven SVT tone.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    between the vt and the lmii you should be able to get all the low mids you'd ever want or need imho. but the low mids in the vt aren't located in the mid knob but the bass knob, which has a center of 125 hz.

6. agreed, the bass knob is more like low mids and I find if I need more LOW end I usually just dial the character knob counter clockwise a bit

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021