1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VT to VVT need correct Potentiometer

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by roborend, Jan 19, 2019.

1. So I'm adding a second volume control to my CIJ Fender Jaguar bass which comes standard with one volume and one tone.

My noob question is that to maintain the same sound it has now; since it has one single volume pot @250k, and I am replacing that with a stacked dual volume for each pickup, shouldn't it have 500k values or am I thinking incorrectly here?

Thanks in advance

2. Check the VVT wiring on a Jazz.
    Pretty sure they use 250Ks.
    Your would be stacked instead of side by side, but otherwise the same.

3. Thanks for the suggestion, they do use 250k's, only thing I'm not sure is if 2 pups thru 1x 250k volume sounds the same as each pup having it's own 250k pot...I would think so

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

No it will not sound like stock. But you’ll have a wide range of tonal options to play with. Tones that you can’t get with the stock rig.

If you want more crispy highs use 500k. If you want less crispy use 250k. The e 500k has the advantage that as you turn it down it will hit 250k which you’ll hear as loss of highs and slight drop in volume. 250k should occur in the first third of the sweep before a big loss in volume occurs.

If you don’t like your selection its only lkke $15 to try the other...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. Ya I think I'll go 500k, I want it bright and dialing it down is really no problem. Thanks