1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VTBass or something else (for DUB tone)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Sortof tempted to get a VTbass again. I liked it the first time I had one, and now that im out of the woods and $$$ is going INTO my accounts again, im thinking of getting one again.

I know I could just go with an EQ (GEB-7 or the like) or an FX-25 for a dub tone, but im thinking that the VT would be nice to have for drive and diesel engine (aka rock) type tones as well.

Your guys (and gals) thoughts?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I still think the best dub tone I've ever gotten was with just a touch of the highs rolled off, a little bit of boost in the lows, and plucking with a soft/pad touch up over the higher frets on the neck. Sure, you can get nice tone with a variety of pedals, but I have yet to hear a pedal that "floats my boat" for dub tone quite as much as the method I described. Even the legendary FX25 is only ideal on a smallish range of notes.

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    P pickup. Highs rolled off. Smooth plucking by the neck.

4. Dub tone = Moog Low pass filter

although as mentioned above, there are loadsa ways of getting a good dub tone without spending a buck, but i just got my MF101 and that thing is funky, dubby, ocillaty.

apparently the old DOD fx25 does some really good dub tones.

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I play in a band that does old ska/rocksteady and some more modern dub stuff.

Mostly I play my Thumb bass with the front pup soloed, treble rolled off, and about -3db treble and +3db bass on my very simple (Hartke HA500) amp, and pick with my thumb on the end of the (26-fret) neck. It sounds lush.

For the more modern stuff I'll either add a low-pass filter (Meatwad) quite choked with the resonance cranked, or even just a soloed -1 oct on my OC-2 which sounds just like the Sleng Teng sound. :)

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    not sure how the VT bass is gonna get you there. You want a deep, clean tone, and maybe a slow-attack envelope filter like the fx25 or (what I use for this) EBS Bassiq

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I got a dubbish tone before by rolling off the treble and mid all the way IIRC, and the gain all the way minimum.

I do get the sense from bongo and joe that an EQ pedal might be my best bet, and I know I've seen at least one of the boards on here at one point had a GEB-7 set for no trebs whatsoever.

Ill prolly get a VT when I create my "I Wanna Be.... TIMMY C" board, sometime in the future.... :D

8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I'd think an MXR M-80 with the Color switch engaged would be better for dub. VT doesn't really go low, the bass is set at 125 Hz, not what I'd consider in the realm of dub.

9. my experience with the vt has been that it adds a lot of brightness. even if you turn the treble down it does add some clank and finger noise. not something i'd want in my dub tone

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Superb for getting a big fat warm yet articulate dub tone like you hear on a lot of JA recordings from the '70s, all else being equal (i.e. attack, etc).

Probably not for more modern dub tones, as varied as they are.

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    A couple things:

The VT/BDDI gave me reggae tones I liked but for deep dub bass they were too bright with any highs and too muddy without. A lot of people think of dub bass as simply low and indistinct, but I don't want mud. I want deep but clean.

Also, I'd disagree that you want a P bass pu. Jazz basses with the neck soloed work better IMO.

I use a Moog LPF but technique and rig are more important.

As a side note, the ACG preamp makes it very easy to get a great dub tone, but mine is in my fretless so I don't use it all that much for dub.

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Huh. I didn't like the tone of a jazz neck pickup soloed. Sounded thin to me. I guess I'm also using a p/j with a blend, and it's about a 60/40 blend for a nice deep fat tone that is clear as a bell still.

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Horses for courses.

I always associate Jazzes with reggae/dub since so much of the original material was made using them.

I can see why people would like a P-bass, but with flats its too thumpy & low-middy for me personally. My dub tone is pretty close to Stu Brooks so that's what I like.

And it's not thin with Nordy Fat Stacks and an Audere set to low Z. ;)

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I use round wound blue steels. If I ever get back to my house, I might record it.

I also have been using a DHA VT1 to really fatten things up.

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Ive actually noticed that with a lot of the recordings of the VT i've heard :meh:...

+1

Hmm.... another endorsement of the LPF.....

Anyone know if there is a clone out there?

16. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    no, there isn't. it's not your average, run-of-the-mill fuzz circuit or something.

That said, I think you could get by JUST FINE with an EBS Bassiq. Better bypass than the Moogerfooger, too (and I mean the buffered EBS)

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Figured :( I tried a Google search for a schem, but I imagine they keep that kind of thing very close to the chest.

BassIQ looks cool. Dub setting would be [Thresh=max][mode=up][Attack=max], right?

I may have to try one out....

18. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    dub settings will vary, but tend to be lowish threshhold/high (slow) attack

as for a schematic of the mooger lowpass... keep in mind that's the basic filter design that synth makers tried to better for decades. I don't think the patent is still prohibitive, but I also don't think it's for beginners. Also, note the controls and CV input/outputs on the mooger - this is not your grandma's envelope filter. Then again, if it were, it might have a bypass designed for pedalboards ;)

19. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    OMG.......

LOLLLLSLSLLZLZ. I meant to type "min" after "Threshold=". Honest. :ninja:

Thanks for the info tho :D

20. I can get a good a dub tone out of the EHX Bass Metaphors. The EQ is pretty flexible and the compression helps smooth it out and add sustain.