Vtbp-201s users speak up.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BiigM, Jan 23, 2009.

1. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    So I tried something today. I've been hooking the pre up to a crown xti2000 and didn't ike it at all. Sounded off somehow.

Then someone on here told me to try hooking it to the poweramp in my db750. And actually in some ways i liked it better than the 750's own pre. It was smoother and not as nasal as the 750. Opened up the sound big time.
    Unfortunately it has soo much high end. I can't even control it with the treble eq. I had to turn the tone on my relic jazz down to half to cut down on the sizzle. Usually I never touch the tone knob, it's alway all the way up.

Are you guys having the same experience with this pre? Is it a matter of different tubes or is it just voiced like that?

2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm not sure what to say! This is the granddaddy of the Eden design, so in a way it's as close to a ''reference'' tone preamp as any I can think of. I've never thought of it as sizzly, though I have rolled off highs at times, depending on the bass.

I have to wonder if it isn't related to the tone you're used to hearing through your DB's preamp? I would expect that to be somewhat warmer.

Anyway, I'd suggest you try the VT into another power amp just to be sure there isn't an electrical mismatch somewhere. I wish you luck... I've had great tone from the 201 at all times.

3. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Eden?

4. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's the Demeter VTBP-201s I'm reffering to :)
    The 1 unit model.

5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I know you meant Demeter, not Eden. However, I was referring to the VTBP-201, not the S, sorry. It is the older 1.5U model. I've heard it sounds different from the S, but I have no experience w/the 1U model.

I did mean to say Eden, though, because the first generation Eden head (the VT model) preamp was originally designed by Demeter and had very similar EQ to the early 201.

6. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    aaah ok :)

Anyone have experience with 1unit vtbp-201s then?

7. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    What cab & configuration are you using? The Demeter preamp is not known to be a hi frequency sizzler.

8. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    I was using my aggie gs212. tweeter at little around 10-11

9. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Can't tell if there is really any issue to be addressed. I don't know what tone you are after. But if you have a Relic J and you turned down the tone control and got close to what you are after --- it seems you want an old school sound : tube amp, flatwounds, dual 15 cab (no tweeter).

But I can suggest turning down your tweeter for one or disconnecting it, and secondly trying the preamp alone in a studio direct to the board and monitors and see if there is actually a problem with the preamp. I have had two of the Demeter VTBP201 1.5 space models and still have one I use daily in the studio, they may sound different to the S model but they can't be a different sound like night and day, and again I cannot say that this is a hi end sizzler at reasonable tone settings.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the presence knob on the demeter pre's are boost only and can slam your sound w/ 12dB of selectable frequency of 2kHz or 4kHz, depending on the engaged presence button. try turning it all the way and see if that suits you. and turn off the bright switch which can add a ton of high end as well. on my HBP-1, which is the brainier version, i keep the presence on 1 or 2.

FYI, all of this, is from the website. might be helpful. ;)

http://demeteramps.com/products/bassamplification/vtbp201s.html

11. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    The presence is offcourse all the way the way down when i'm trying to reduce the "sizzle" :) And bright switch is also off.
    It's as if the treble control is just not that effective at cutting the sizzle away.

Anyway. In my studio it doesn't seem as bright as over my aggie cabs. So maybe it's just a bad combo.

It just surprises me that the demeter has sooo much more sizzle than the db750.

12. duff2

duff2 Guest

Dec 16, 2007
    Not sure if this will be of any help, but here's how the original Eden VT series of amps (Demeter designed preamp) were voiced. If the VTB-201s EQ responds in a similar manner, this may help you dial in the tone you are looking for.

Cheers,
    Duff2

EdenVT-40-1.jpg

13. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm at a loss man. Honest. I owned an aggie preamp identical to the 750's, a demeter and an aggie 112 all at the same time and i've never heard what you're talking about.

FWIW, the demeter 201 and 201s sound almost the same, the 201s has a tiny tiny bit more presence.

Have you tried plugging any other preamps into the 750?

One thing i notice was that it was hard to get much treble out of the aguilar 750 preamp. you may be really used to that. but i'm stretching here. i always found the demeter to be fairly in the middle of bright and warm. The demeter is very accuurate and tight compared to the aguilar which is a bit loose and woolly sounding, so that may be what you are hearing.

any chance the attenuator on your aguilar cab is broken and stuck in the full boost position?

i'm really at a loss. :confused:

14. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    I'm definately comparing it to the db750. So maybe I am just used to that sound as you say IvanMike.
    That would probably also mean that the aggie cabs which are voiced for the aggie amps i'm guessing :), might be to bright for the demeter?
    I havn't tried any other preamps into the 750.

Thx for the charts by the way. A bit over my head with al those graphs :)

15. I've got an HBP-1. It's really bright. I wouldn't call it too bright, though. I usually end up with treble at around 9 o'clock. A bit of treble roll off on my bass as well, sounds pretty good to me.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    one of my very first boutique rigs was a demeter vtbp201s w/ a gs112, and i never thought it was too bright.

17. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    well too bright is a matter of taste i guess. when i hear andrew gouche on youtube, my first reaction is.....YUCK. I can't stand that zing zizzle zizzle zing. Others love that thing.

18. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    It's not the Demeter and it's not either of your power amps.
    You want to sell the GS112 and get a 2X15 cab without a tweeter.

A short term measure is to open up the GS112's , disconnect the circuitry and wire the woofer direct to the socket. The 12" will still go up a bit higher than your typical comparable 15", but from your description I suggest going this route. You'd get a pretty kroner for the GS112s.

19. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    but the aggie cabs sound good with the 750. Not to much high end at all. With 750 i even hit the bright switch or boot tredje a tad on occasions. And tweeters at 2 - 3 o'clock.

So it's probably more of a missmatch of aggie cabs and vtbp. I washington thinking of gettin a whappo. that sound be more mellow in the higs.
    So i

20. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    but the aggie cabs sound good with the 750. Not to much high end at all. With 750 i even hit the bright switch or boot tredje a tad on occasions. And tweeters at 2 - 3 o'clock.

So it's probably more of a missmatch of aggie cabs and vtbp. I washington thinking of gettin a whappo. that sound be more mellow in the higs.
    So i

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021