1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VTC Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I know that the vintage tone control cuts the highs, which would be ideal on a Sadowsky with a maple board, but would it be necessary with a rosewood board?

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

You can still go darker and rounder with it , so it really depends on the specific tone you are looking for.

3. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I don't have a need to cut the highs with the VTC on with my BRW Sadowsky. I leave it flat and it rocks!

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I had an RV5 with no VTC, and I would have liked to have it. The morado board basses are still really bright!

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Hey Wood. Ive owned 15 Sadowsky's My PJ4 I just got is the first to have the VTC. I dont even use it. The magic, for me, about a Sadowsky is its open, distinctive tone. I dont want to throw a pillow over it. Many Sadowsky players feel just like me, many dont.

Rob

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    I did not know that. I talked to Jim at the Atlanta Bass Gallery, and he said that some of the ones he installed, the customers wished they hadn't done it, so I was wondering if it was because of the board wood.

7. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

The board on my PJ is braz rosewood. I've had everything else. Maple, morado, Ebony. Just have never had the need to roll off on the vtc. Felt the same way when I played old Fender J's and P's way back

Rob

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey Woodchuck,

I had an MS5 a while back that was sans VTC when I first bought it, but I had it sent back for the install. Truthfully, because I've always had a passive tone knob on my bass, I thought that I'd need it, but it's not essential to me. It offers some rounding of the tone as others have mentioned, but I agree with Rob that it's not a necessity. But, as he also said, for others it's very important. I think part of it depends on your tone preferences, and your fingers. Some folks have brighter fingers than others (sounds stupid, but it's true) and may want to tame it with a VTC/ passive tone knob.

I'll also say that I've got an alder/morado Metro now that has the VTC and I agree that they are also very bright basses. But, my feeling about the VTC is the same as it was with my ash/maple Metro. Hope that's of some help. . .

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I sometimes use the tone knob and a regular J and P basses as well, so theres a preference context for sure.

If you're a guy that uses the tone control on your basses, you'll probably want it no matter which woods you get.

10. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Yea. Again, you've got to play and listen. I play very even and seldom slap. Mostly finger funk. Just dont need it. Many others may.

Rob

11. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I like using it on my PJ, even though I have Brazilian Rosewood. When I want a deep, typical P sound tending towards traditional, I roll toward the P pickup, and take a little sizzle off by cranking down the VTC. I also like it when I'm doing my reggae impersonations. It's just another color in the pallet as I see it.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    I was on the fence about having it installed on mine, but after playing a TV gig Wednesday (more about that later), and a concert filming last night (same thing), I'm not seeing the need now. Thanks guys! This Sadowsky club rules! :bassist:

13. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was considering having it installed on mine too. Mainly because I'm one with bright fingers. However, I'm learning how to adjust my technique to compensate for that.

Question: If it's installed, it doesn't have to be in use does it? I mean, you wouldn't necessarily lose anything tone-wise would you? I just see it as being able to add more tonal variety (not that it's needed). Am I missing something?

14. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

No. You dont have to use it. Just leave it turned up fully and its the same as no vtc. Only can tell when u roll it back

Rob

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I've got a PJ5 with an Alder body and a Rosewood board and I lean heavily on the VTC when I use that bass. Not everyone feels the same but for me it's an essential element of that particular instrument's sound.

16. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi,

I never use the vtc on my Uv70's metro, even though it is bright because i like the bright tone on an ash/maple...

i want to get a RV4 as well and i think i would like it more on that. For me the rosewood/alder tone is with the tone control rolled off lots. like john paul jones/ jaco on the back pickup etc. but compared to a fender i can still have the sadowsky sound too.

17. Ernieballer

Ernieballer

Jun 13, 2006
    Lubbock, Tx
    Would a Sadowsky sound more like a Fender with the VTC up all the way?

18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    My morado board is just as bright as the maple I have. To me anyway. The VTC is a nice tool.

19. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

You gonna dump that kind of coin and choak at the last hundred bucks?

20. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Interesting - I have VTC on a MV4 and a RV5 and I leave it turned up all the time. Haven't found the need for the darker tone. No VTC on my UV70-4 - and it sounds as good (if not better) than my MV4.