1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vulnerability, sensitivity, confidence, Jaco, and Hancock.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by backline112, Mar 11, 2009.

1. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    Jaco is a phenomenon. He is able to make sounds on the bass that are a total surprise to the sensibilities. Not only single notes, but chords, harmonics and all sorts of nuances with the color of the instrument that when combined and translated through Jaco make for some of the best music that I've heard in a long time.

Of course, it's not the technique that makes the music; it's the sensitivity of the musician and his ability to be able to fuse his life with the rhythm of the times. This is the essence of music. On this record Jaco captures some of that rhythm.

-Herbie Hancock.

This hit me. Hard.
    I'm an underdeveloped eighteen year old musician who practiced for speed after watching Sheehan, and maintains an incredibly flawless posture and "good technique" at all times.

It helps, but now I'm focusing on discovering things (like people, stories, feelings, and myself) through music.

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Beautiful.
    I've heard a lot of musicians (especially young, driven, and talented musicians) who lock themselves in a room for 12 hours a day practicing.
    Sadly, when it comes time to play, the only thing they really have to express, emotionally, is "I've been practicing 12 hours a day, check THIS out".
    Which is far less moving to me, as a listener, than hearing someone who's had his heart broken a few times and had some life experiences that come through his playing.

When you can combine technique with something to express, you've really got something.