VVT circuit losd

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Feb 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I have read somewhere that on a passive bass the VVT control scheme creates too much circuit load and makes the bass sound dull. Is there truth to this?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If you want to avoid loading, you'll want a 3-way pickup selector switch & just 1 volume control, but
    then you can't blend like you can with a V/V/T.

A V/V/T is less loading than a V/B/T.

GrapeBass likes this.
  3. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    The flip side is that not enough loading can lead to a harsh and brittle quality. Most pickups are likely designed with a certain amount of loading in mind. But it all depends on your ideas of what sounds good.

To my ears, a volume and tone (plus a switch, for multiple pickups) is the minimum. Then there's the 500K vs. 250K Ohm pot question. But I don't think VVT sounds dull--especially if 500K pots are used (for the volumes, not necessarily the tone).

In fact, on my two-pickup bass, I usually have the volume(s)--500K linear pots--turned down to between 5 and 7, in part because I get better pickup blending and in part to take the edge off the tone. On my single-pickup bass, I often turn the volume--a 250K audio pot--down to 8 or 9 to round out the tone a bit. I suppose that all puts me in favor of a fair bit of pickup loading!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    more accurate to say the controls create some load and thus sound duller than otherwise; whether it's "too much" or not is a different question. i like my fender bass pickups a bit brighter so it's 500k pots for me, while plenty of folks think they sound just right with the stock 250k pots they were designed around.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021