VW Owners, info please

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tash, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm thinking of trading my 2003 Hyundai Tiburon in on a VW Golf TDI. If anyone one TB has one of these, or has any comments about VW TDIs in general, I would appreciate hearing them.

I am looking for a car that gets excellent mileage (40mpg+ on average), has enough space for bass gear and will be cheaper to insure than my Tib (which costs more than my M3!). I think the Golf TDI would fit all these perfectly, but could also be interested in a Jetta or GTI TDI if I discover something particularly cool about either one.

2. I had a 2002 Golf TDI that was sold last month when I moved from San Francisco to New York. I bought it primarily to be able to go places with my instruments. Before I got the car my only transportation was my motorcycle, which worked out with my banjo or even (rental) cello in a soft case on my back as long as it wasn't raining; I bought the car when I started playing DB.

The TDI worked great for the instruments. I could fit my electric guitar and twin reverb in the back without removing the hatchback cover, and my DB fit in the passenger seat with it reclined. Of course fuel mileage was great (45+ with a 40 mile one-way highway commute), the combo cd/cassette stereo was good, it had I think six airbags, and I never had any trouble with it. Best of all, the resale value was great. It sold for $14.5k at auction in SF last month, which was pretty close to what I bought it for new.

I didn't realise that there was such a lack of hatchbacks on the market in the US until I started shopping for cars. The VW station wagon I looked at was considerably more than the Golf, so it came to deciding between the Golf and a minivan. I went with the TDI because of my 80 mile commute and was completely happy with it.

3. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    The VW TDI engine is very stout. You can get a chip for it that will boost the HP/TQ and still maintain great gas mileage. That is, if you aren't happy with the power it puts out from the factory. I've got a buddy with a TDI Beetle and it is QUICK.

I've owned 4 VW Golfs (2-door) and loved them all. They have TONS of room for hauling gear. I used to put a 410, 6-space rack, 2 bass cases and some other nic-nacks in the back with a little room to spare. In my old 90's golf, I could fit an Ampeg V9 cab in the back!

Unfortunately, in the U.S. they don't make a GTI TDI. The GTI's all come with either the 1.8T or 2.8VR6 engines (at least from late 99-present). The VR6 doesn't get bad mileage, but the insurance is brutal! You can still get the 2-door TDI, though which is basically a stripped down GTI.

I say check one out. I've a VW/Audi fanatic, so of course, I'm biased.