Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

W I D E 6-Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Apr 23, 2000.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    What (production) 6-string basses have people played that have incredibly wide spacing, or at least aren't slim? I have big hands and I want to know what to look for. I've seen Yamaha TRB 6's and Warwicks that look wide, but what else? (And don't say Ibanez, because they only had one bass with wide spacing and I haven't seen them in years)

------------------
    Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose. It's how drunk you get. - Homer

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, you know, the ibanez basses have a pretty tight spacing.

as for the yamahas, the pattitucci model's neck is as wide as my seven string necks. the groove tools 7 has a wide spacing, more like a p-bass at the nut, string to string, but still not as wide string-to-string as the pattitucci model, i think.

------------------
    john

strings! strings! i need more strings!

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I was almost considering getting a GT7 and converting it to 6 to get a really wide spacing, but that's just a though I had. I'd have to get a better preamp too.

------------------
    Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose. It's how drunk you get. - Homer

4. ShawnRiley

ShawnRiley

Jan 13, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rojo412:
    I was almost considering getting a GT7 and converting it to 6
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Rojo, can you send me the tuner key? The guitar tuner on my P-bass that was a 4, but is now a 5, looks rather tacky. *rofl*

Shawn

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Uh......whatever.... [​IMG]

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey rojo

the preamp in the gt7 is a bart preamp, you may dig it, it only has bass and treble, but it sounds surprisingly good. the pickups are barts too, very good sounding. the only gripe i have with the GT (other than the spacing, i like 'em tight) is the bridge - i would personally prefer one with a bit more mass.

------------------
    john

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yamaha TRB6P (get a second hand old one - not the newer TRBs or JP) is good for a wide neck - I prefer a wider neck as well. The only other bass that has come close for this aspect is the Ken Smith. I have played a couple of really nice ones in the UK - but whereas I got my TRB6P for under £1400, the Ken Smiths I tried were a bit out of my price range at over £3000! Very nice sound though and lovely flat, wide neck.

8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I thought that the GT7 had bart pickups and a Mighty Mite preamp...
    I've played Ken Smith 6's and they are okay, but I'm not crazy about the look, especially in the less expensive ones. They sound very cool though.

------------------
    "I'm no hero. I just like to hit people on the head." - Nelson

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they may call it that, but its a bartollini-designed preamp.

------------------
    john

10. My guess would be that bart is the same as bartolini......

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Yes

12. The GT7 has WIDE spacing. This is the reason I bought mine.

------------------
    Carl

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Modulus Quantum's have wide spacing. I dont think its as much as a GT7 (never compared), but its quite a bit. And they are extremely comfortable, and have the Bartolini's. (Or EMG's Or Lane Poor's if you prefer). Also, i have a Tobias Growler that i got a long while ago (it was like $1800 i think), and its got very wide spacing. So i wouldnt go for the new stuff (the tobiases at musicyo are crap), but find a used Signature ($1500-$3000), and youd be extremely happy with that. They have Bartolinis, and are extremely nice. And they are all neck-through, so you get good sound too. But both those have wide string spacing. And i believe warwick offers a Wide string spacing on their 6 strings (I think just the Thumb bass, but im not sure).And Fodera makes a wide spaced 6 string model (the Anthony Jackson Contrabass). Im sure of the last one. Its probably very expensive though...

Edit 16 months later: Wow! Quantums do NOT have wide spacing! I was dumb. This is scary...

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bassdude:
    The GT7 has WIDE spacing. This is the reason I bought mine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually it doesn't. It's definitely not 3/4"

I've mentioned the fact that I'd probably buy a GT7 with wider right hand spacing and salespeople look at me like I have horns.
    Then again, why bother, everything that can be done on a 7 can be done on a 4 (by two people [​IMG])

15. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    IMO, Tobias basses BLOW! I've only played one that was worth the massive cheese and that was a pre-Gibson. It sounded like buttah, but the new ones sound like a fork on a plate. And they don't make a Growler 6.
    Fodera? If you see one for about $1000, I'll jump on it, even if I haven't seen it.
    It's been 4 years since I played a Modulus 6 and my hands are much bigger now, but I'm leaning towards that. The wide Warwicks are nice too, but since I like variety, I'm not gonna look TOO hard at another Warwick. Of course, I've never played a Warwick 6...
    And what's the deal with this warwick giveaway? I haven't heard dick about it and when I re-registered it said that I'm DQ'ed. That sux...

------------------

16. Bruce Lindfield

The Tobias basses are nice but they are definitely NOT wide-necked. They are some of the narrowest 6s that I've tried. I know a few players who bought them for their narrow necks.

Warwick do a wide neck version, but it's only on a couple of models - one is the Streamer LX, which is a bolt-on. But these are very rare - non existent in the UK. I've asked every shop that I know and they have all said that they can order them but won't be stocking them - so there's no chance of trying them out!! [​IMG]

The normal Warwick 6s are too narrow and thick necked for me - I've tried quite a few at the Bass Centre in London - unplayable IMO - although I like the sound.

Most of the dealers don't understand about this - they think *any* 6 string neck is wide and don't appreciate how much difference it makes if you want to get your fingers betwen the strings and have large hands. I would still love a really wide-necked 6 string, but it looks like the only way is to go for a custom-made one.

[This message has been edited by Bruce Lindfield (edited April 27, 2000).]

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Bruce, I've actually had people tell me "Don't worry about the spacing, just play it" That struck me as incredibly stupid. I'm one of those guys that (call me crazy) likes to get between the strings, tight spacing is OK for fingertip fingerstyle playing but if I want to grab a string, I get the base of my fingernails ripped up. But hey...don't worry!

You're right also that some people think that because a bass has six strings it's automatically wide. So wrong.

18. Boy am I embarassed, last night I measured my "P" bass, Carvin LB75 and the GT7. The GT7 is wider than the Carvin at the nut But narrower at the bridge by a small amount. It is nowhere near the spacing of a "P" Bass. But the neck is so wide it makes think that the spacing is wider. I play two different upright basses the LB75's, "P" basses and the GT7 so I guess I dont notice string spacing or scale length any more. The Alembic Spoiler 6 that I traded for the GT7 was Too Narrow for Me. Sorry If I misslead you.

------------------
    Carl

[This message has been edited by bassdude (edited April 27, 2000).]

19. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If I had the dough and couldn't find a production 6 to my liking, I'd get a custom bass made with the exact string to string spacing of my Music Man. It's frickin' HUGE!

------------------

20. Bruce Lindfield

Yes, I was looking at a Custom 6 - there is a really good place in London that sells basses and they make them in the basement - Martin Peterson in the Gallery in Camden. A lot of UK pros have commissioned them - you might see a "Sei" bass second-hand somewhere. They aren't that expensive to start with.