Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

W. Montgomery's Four on Six

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jeduardo, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Jeduardo

Jeduardo

Apr 15, 2002
    Do any of y'all know where I can get the music for this song, or any of his songs? I'm not so great at creating my own lines . . . so I want to practice with the right ones. :)

Thank you!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's in the Sher "Real Book" - nice tune for bass. The opening riff is just a series of quarter notes rising in fifths GDCG etc. etc.

Then it's like an extended minor blues.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    CLAMPETTUARDO,

Best I can remember away from an instrument, the changes are:

/G-7..../G-7..../G-7..../G-7..../

/C-7..F7#4/Bb-7..Eb7#4/A-7..D7#4/Eb-7..Ab7#4/

/G-7..../G-7..../G-7..../G-7..../

/BbMa7..G-7/A-7(b5)..D7#9/G-7..../(D7#9)../

With the hits in the first two measures of the last line coming on 1, &of2, 4, and 2, respectively.

Hope this helps.

Edited for spelling

5. Jeduardo

Jeduardo

Apr 15, 2002
    Clampettduardo . . . . LOL!!!!!!
    I love it!

Thanks for your help y'all. I went ahead and bought the Hal-Leonard book today and I think I can write a walking bass line to it . . . . like I said, I haven't been doing it that long, but I will take my time.
    Got a recital in two weeks!!!!!

6. That was the first real song that Inspired to me to learn jazz. Chris hit the changes perfectly.

7. Jeduardo

Jeduardo

Apr 15, 2002
    Thats awesome! Yeah, a buddy of mine got me into jazz by listening to Chick Corea all the time, so that was my first influence, but I can't keep up with that . . . and I love Wes Montgomery, which is much easier to play.

Does anyone have any suggestions as two some other jazz tunes or artists to practice my bass to thats not too complicated?