Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wa-wa-wow!!! A Wa-wa-Warwick!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chasarms, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Well, I posted a thread not too long ago about purchasing a Yamaha TRB5-PF. It arrived. When I opened the package, it wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be.

I won't go into any more detail than that. Since most already know I bought it at Bass Palace, I should say that I believe it was simply a lapse in communication, and I have all the confidence in the world in them as a retailer. They were extremely courtious and allowed me to return it without question. It's on it's way back to PA.

So, not only did I not have the extended range fretless that I wanted, I had no fretless at all, as the sale of fretless 4 was already complete.

But, that isn't the good part. Some of you may have noticed, fellow TBer Da5id HeX was selling his Streamer LX 6. So, I shot him an e-mail. Turns out he was only 90 minutes from my house. I drove over yesterday and returned with a MINT condition Warwick Streamer LX 6. It is absolutely beautiful. A honey-amber flamed maple body. Duncan basslines.

Me owning a fretless six is sort of like those guys that buy a 1-ton, duel-axle pickup truck to commute to the office from their suburban homes, but nonetheless, it's mine!!!

Up until this point, I have always said I liked Warwicks as long as other people were playing them. This one has changed my thoughts.

I played it for a couple of hours last night. For some strange reason, I found the six neck more comfortable than any Warwick 5 I have ever played. The profile isn't nearly as deep. It isn't "chunky" at all, IMO. Not as slim as a Ken Smith, but VERY playable as long as you mind your technique. I really like the flat fingerboard.

I should add that Dave is super nice guy and a real joy to talk to. He has great interest and enthusiasm for bass and a seemingly strong passion for being a student of the instrument. I was delighted to meet him.

I have two performances this weekend. I plan on using it for at least one. We'll see how it goes from there.

Chas

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...you've been here long enough to know pics are mandatory. :mad:

:D

So, rocking the Warwick 6 hu? Did you say flat board? The the fingerboard isn't radiused at all? Maybe that's why Warwicks feel funny to me...

And about the 6 feeling more comfortable than the 5s, I totally agree! I think Warwick makes an excellent 6er neck, but the 5s are a little hit and miss...

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Nice score!!!
    I can't believe it lasted as long as it did!!!

4. Nice ending to the story. Congrats! Pics asap, please.

:D Great line!

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

:( :( :( :( :(

that's what happens when you don't have any money, i guess. i'm glad the bass found a home though, it was up WAY too long for how nice a bass it is.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    OK, Ive had enough...PICS! Pics, people, c'mon!

Ya know when your litttle and your friends like "I just got a cool new bike...but you cant see it". Yeah, same thing.

I say Brendan and I should have some new authority around here. "The Pic Police"...Ok so I havent worked out a name, but you get the justs of it. Whaddya say Brendan?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depiction Deciders?
    Presentment Police?
    Picture Patrol?
    Portrayal Pointsmen?
    Portraiture Patrolmen?

I'm Down, Skool. I'm down.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Picture Portrayal Patrolman. Definitely.

9. Thanks for the kind words! I have to say it was an absolute joy talking to you as well, Chas. You're definitely a humble chap with a great love for the instrument as well! Our conversation was pretty enlightening for me, and I think it's going to help put me in the right direction with my playing and learning.

Enjoy that Warwick! Keep me updated on how it's working for you!

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Ok. You asked.

Why, the other? Because I like it.

[​IMG]

11. Whoa!

I bet that thing sounds incredible...

Congrats,

John

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Quite the beautiful pair you've got there! Congrats on the score.
    I'm along the same lines in needing a 6er. Actually, for me, it would be like having an 18-wheeler to get to school, but hopefully I'll have me a nice 6 soon.
    Hope you dig the new bass. Congrats.

13. Welcome to the family. I got bit by the W bug in '98 after being a Fender die hard for ages. I would agree about their 5-string necks, but their broad-neck option and the way the bridge system works would seem to enable the kind of wider spacing that I would prefer on a 5. If we can just get the neck of the Ibanez EDA905 onto a less-ugly and organic-material body, then we'd have something I could love. I gusee asking if one exists would kinda be a new thread, huh?

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The fretboard on my SSI-5 is convex, but the curve is so slight that it looks and feels flat. Anyone know what the radius is on Warwicks?

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

P.S. that fretless 6 certainly is a beauty! I love the Warwick satin finishes... so deep.

16. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    chasarms welcome to warwick club :D

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nice basses, Chas. Congrats on the new purchase!!:D

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Ok.

So I played the bass for about 90 minutes or so last night to get me confident to use it for the performance I had this afternoon.

I played it the first six songs or so. We did a poppish piece that starts with slap bass, so fortunately I did take the Q5 along in case I got spooked.

First, the Warwick sounded great and I was even more comfortable on it than I would have thought. It has a beautiful voice and really settles into it's on spot in the mix.

But the Q5, has ten times the balls!!!!

The low-end punch and focus of the Modulus is more impressive than ever to me. As great as the Warwick sounds, it doesn't even compare.

Once I got the Q5 back in my hands, I finished with it.

Each will have its place for sure, but the fretlessness (is that really a word?) if the Warwick is what makes it a perfect compliment. I wouldn't buy the same bass in a fretted.

And, oddly enough, I actually got a kick out of the top string. (I'm not sure to whether to call it a B or a C, as I have experimented with both tunings) I appreciate the idea of all fourths, but I also mess around with acoustic guitar a bit, so I am kind of used to the traditional guitar tuning. I'll eventually decide.

Thanks for all the nice compliments about the new bass. I really appreciate it.

Chas