Waa waa pedal with DB?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Anon2962, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    anyone tried this? I've seen Dan Berglund (E.S.T.) use one. Any comments? Are they pricey?
  2. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I haven't tried it with the DB yet. (Haven't got a pickup yet.) Make sure you get the bass wah. (Or you can adjust a gtr wah to target bass frequencies.) I got a Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah for about $75; 10+ yrs ago.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I seem to remember that Eberhard Weber used some kind of signal processing on those ECM albums, that I think are still avaliable. Viktor Krauss's latest album has all kinds of "little boxes" on it. It's also possible that Miroslav Vitous used a pedal in the early Weather Report Albums.

4. pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    Hi. I seriously think about buying some effects for DB... especially after listening to E.S.T. Few weeks ago they played a concert in my town and I was impressed! The idea of using effects for making the truly acoustic sound deeper, more intriguing and coloured is great! Dan played with overdrive and some space effects (delay, maybe waa waa).
    As far as prices are concerned, I've found this (Europe):

I've also heard many good opinions about EBS effects for DB.

5. Sorry for highjacking the thread, but I am also interested in this topic. Although I am not particularly interested in a wah wah pedal, but would love to know if anyone is using any pedal to add to the sustain of their upright. In other words, I am looking for (this may sound strange given that so many people are looking for the opposite effect) an effect that makes their upright sound more like an electric guitar. I hate playing the electric guitar, but note that there are some electric blues songs that my band is doing that would sound good with the bass having a bit more of the electric type sustain.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Use a compressor.

Also, Spirocores and an Underwood pickup (which is compress-y) will enhance the sustain. You can also increase sustain in how you pull the string -- as long as the bass naturally has the sustain (setup, etc.).

With Spiros, an Underwood and three or four beers I can get sustain that would have made Jaco jealous.... :)
  7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Yup. There's some pretty wild arco through a wah on "I Sing The Body Electric".
  8. Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
  9. A good overdrive pedal will do that - it will provide the compression as well as the extra edge to the sound.

Regarding wah on DB - I've found that an auto wah (or envelope filter) works better. I have an old MXR that's good, but hope to add a MoogerFooger to my collection.
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Oh geez, be careful using compressors and overdrives...holy feedback, Batman!!! The last thing you need with amplified DB is MORE gain in the signal chain :help:

Charlie Haden also used a wah pedal back in the 70s.
  11. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Envelope filter prolly would work better. Could get tricky trying to work the wah and hold the bass...but I like the wah effect better for the control it provides.
  12. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

I use a Dunlop wa-wa peddle from time to time, lots of fun, heads really perk up when you do a solo with it. I’d be fun to try one of those all-in-one stomp box devices.
  13. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    More sustain? I hear the sound of the drummer asking....where did the "One" go? Yep, a compressor should do the trick though, as long as you don't care what the "natural" bass tone sounds like. "Obvious" unatural sustain being the ultimate goal, ultimate overall tone would be secondary. I like the old Urei LA 4, or the DBX 160. Great compressors!

Even better could be to get some blues chops happening with the bow. A life long endeavor!
  14. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Anybody familiar with the late Motoharu Yoshizawa? He sometimes ran an EUB through effects combined with extended techniques to make some really out-there sounds.
  15. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    No, but I'd like to hear more. I've found some of his albums available online. Thanks for the tip!
  16. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    FYI, the Mikami-Haino-Yoshizawa "Live In The First Year Of Heisei" don't seem to include any effects on bass. The Kazuki Tomokawa albums which feature Yoshizawa on a few tracks do. Definitely not for everyone, though!
  17. rmsadler

May 28, 2006
    dan berglund uses a line 6 bass pod i believe. i tried one and loved the effects but didn't like the way it coloured the double bass sound. it's impossible to by-pass the amp simulator. he has a mike suspended under the bridge of his bass and i can only guess the sound guys (who travel with the band) know how and when to mix this in to get a great natural sound.
    so i'm now going the pedal route. i have a realist pick up - fishman pro eq pre amp - fulltone bass drive - Dunlop bass wah - boss bass chorus - vox volume pedal all played through an swr redhead. it's an exciting ride to say the least. i have used it on the album and at gigs and it's great fun.
  18. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Did he use it on anything else besides Mortgage on my Soul (wah wah) on that Keith Jarret album Birth? He sounds wicked on that song.
  19. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    I saw Christian McBride 2 years ago at Iridium. He had all sorts of stomp boxes at his feet, I don't recall a wah specifically. He seemed to use them mostly with the bow, for "sci-fi" effects. Very well EQed no feedback. I enjoyed the envelope stretch.
  20. massasahib

May 22, 2006
    charlie haden used the wah-wah in the song "rock the clock" on ornette colemans album "science fiction".