Waaahh!!! I can't make up my mind!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudemeister, Jan 6, 2002.

1. I've got a terrible problem which is as follows.
    I've gone a long time waiting to get enough money to buy a new bass.
    Now I have enough but now I can't decide which one to buy.
    I own a Fretless Warwick Thumb BO and a Spector NS20004. I am selling the Spector because I'm really tired of it's cold sound and I'm thinking of getting rid of my fretless too, due to neck-dive.

The choice stands between the following(prices are converted from Swedish Crowns to USD:
    1. 4str MM Stingray 3band EQ(seconhand 1250USD)
    2. 4str Warwick SSI made 1992 (seconhand 875USD)
    3. Fender J (different prices)
    4. ?str Tobias Classic, not sure if its sold (don't know if its pre-gibson) (650USD)

I play a lot of different music ranging from some Rythm and Blues (not R&B), a lot of funk, a lot of metal(á la Mudvayne, Hed(pe)and Meshuggah), some jazz, a little pop/rock and some Zappa covers.
      I play mostly fingerstyle but I'm trying to learn slapping propperly. I don't use a pick.
      I'm not willing to pay more than, say 1300USD.
      I'm completely stuck so a little help with different comments and comparission would be very appreciated...

(Too many sentences starting with "I"...):)
  2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    the stingray will beat any other bass for funk.the fender jazz will be good for blues and jazz and the warwick will be good for all of your playing styles i think.i think your best choices would be MM stingray or warwick thumb.if i had the money i would get a stingray.but choose what you want because your going to be the one playing it!
  3. That price is waaaay too high for a MM Stingray, check out Elderly instrument, a brand new, active 3 band EQ, sunburst, Rosewood for $1050, check it out

or Pearl Platinum with matching headstock for $1090

These are the best MM Stingray prices, even the 5 strings are the best prices.

If you don't get them, I will, but still can't decide a Stingray or Rickenbacker:D

Good luck! I say go with the MM Stingray!
  4. Oppps, I thought you were in the U.S.
  5. Hi dudemeister - are you really off Spector's or are you just unhappy with the Korean models??

Have you tried the Czech made European series basses?? I have an NS-5CR and also a REX2000/5 -they are a bit different ( I like the sound of the REX, but I know that the Czech one is better!)

Something I found on ebay might be of interest :-

Seem to be in your price range too!!!
    Just a thought from a Spector head!!!!

PS Don't know much about your other choices - sorry!
  6. I envy you who live in the US for the reason that it seems easier to get cheap seconhand instruments. In sweden it seems like no one is auctioning or selling any interesting instruments on the net or in newspapers...

By the way, that seconhand stingray is found in a music store. Thats probably why the price is a bit high for a seconhand.
  7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Don't sell your basses. You'll never get the value on resale for either. Save some bucks and get the pre-gibson toby. Looks like a good price.
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You can never go wrong with a Fender Jazz or a Stingray in your arsenal...
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Why do you think it's a pre-Gib? (Especially since the first post says "not sure")

I see it as VERY unlikely that it's a pre-Gibson model... if it was, I'm sure it would cost a lot more (unless the seller's a moron... which you always can hope). Gibson's (and a whole lot of other brands') Swedish distributor, Niclas Luthman, carried Gibson Tobiases when they were still made, so there could be a number of them floating around in Sweden. AFAIK, Mike Tobias had no distribution going on here when he still made basses under the Tobias label, which is why I think they would be very rare, if they exist at all in our small country.
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Excuuuuuse me! Holy smokes.
    If it's not, then don't get it. Big deal.
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    No, excuse me. The sky is gray, the snow is slowly melting to slush, I'm still unemployed and getting poorer and poorer each day... reasons why I'm a bit grumpy nowadays. :oops:
  12. Oysterman: Is your snow melting down there? Up here in Stockholm we've got a thick white layer and it's freezing cold. I hate it...
  13. Ok, two new options have showed up.
    1. MM Sterling 4str (1118 USD)
    2. Warwick Streamer LX 5str (826 USD)
      Here is a picture of the sterling. I'm going to try the both basses out this week.
      Are the prices good or am I being ripped of?
      Is the Streamer LX just the BO version of the Stage II (or at least simmilar)?
  14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Do you like the feel of a Jazz? Get the Sterling!

I really feel my Sterling could be my one-and-only bass, if I was foolish enough to sell the rest!
  15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

Boy, that would look nice with a white pearl or black pearl pickguard! Hell, it even looks nice now!

Is that the actual Sterling you're considering?
  16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

Ster-ling! Ster-ling! Ster-ling! STER-LING!
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Even if that Tobias isn't pre Gibson, at that price, you should check it out. The Gibson ones were hit and miss, but the good ones were really good, and went for about 3 or 4 times that much new.

That Sterling looks like a good deal too.
  18. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You guys in Stockholm have snow? That is so unfair, it went from -30 degrees to +5 a couple of days ago, and almost all the snow is gone up here... I hate it.
  19. I haven't been able to open my windows on the second floor the last couple of weeks due to snow on the window ledge...
    ...and I'm to lazy to climb up a ladder and remove it.:oops: