1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wabass 2012

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by chris1125, Jan 24, 2012.

1. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Who all is applying?
    I'm in the process of making my audition tape. I'm 90% classical but I still have my audition tape from state jazz, so I'm thinking about using some soloing I did over how high the moon, playing the Beethoven 9 Recitative and then the first movement of the Kouss, if I can fit all that in, I might have to take some short cuts.

2. I'm only a junior in high school and I can stand my own ground for people my age, but I don't stand a chance against college and professional bassists.

Does anyone happen to know how they evaluate us? If I applied, would they compare me to the people with more experience and education, or would they look at where I am at for my age and experience?

3. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed

Oct 10, 2011
    I didn't hear about this camp until several days ago, but it sounds like it would be a lot of fun if I can get in. I'm going to put together a recording at the end of the week. I will be playing:

Excerpts from:
    Beethoven 7
    Mozart 39
    Strauss' Death and Transfiguration
    Brahms 1 or 2 (haven't decided yet)

And for solos, I'll be doing:
    Eccles Sonata mvt. 1
    Koussevitzky Concerto mvt. 1 first two pages

I think that will come out to about 10 minutes.

I just hope I have enough time to record everything and put it on to a DVD. :(

4. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed

Oct 10, 2011
    That's a good question, and I wish I had an answer. Like you, I am a junior in high school and I am wondering the exact same thing.

Could anyone who is familiar with this camp shed some light on this? Thanks!

5. Indybass091

Indybass091

Mar 1, 2009
    Hey guys, I did Wabass in 2008, and I was going into my senior year of high school at the time. Hal, Ranaan, and Eric select students according to the promise that they display. For the four high schoolers there, we were being prepped for college auditions. Other people were there for different purposes, whether it be professional audition prep, getting the rust off solo chops, or getting a little jazz practice. They intentionally keep a diverse age range there, so it's not really a competition of a high school student versus a fourth-year college student versus an orchestra member. Different strokes for different folks.

Tip for your recording - don't try to pack a bunch of rep into the 10 minutes. Keep it simple, pick a few things that you feel really display your sound and musicality. Maybe see some of you there!

6. Thanks for the info! I better start practicing now! :p

7. mattgray

mattgray

Nov 16, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    I was at Wabass last year and the age range was pretty narrow, which I remember Ranaan remarked as being really odd for that festival, but that's just what happened from the people whom they selected. I'd +1 Indybass's comment, just prepare the best you can for where you are.

As far as insight into the camp itself goes, I can say that it was one of the most amazing experiences of my musical life. You're surrounded by your peers and even though there are 3 faculty teachers, the whole idea surrounding the festival is that everyone is a teacher and a student. You're brought together to learn from each other, to listen, and absorb. It's a really refreshing place to go if you constantly find yourself surrounded by the same insular thoughts that can become eternally circulated in a conservatory environment, and a location to go with an open heart and mind. Yes, it's intense, but at the same, a very relaxing environment to be in. I still find myself reflecting and thinking critically on subjects and ideas that were discussed last June, even in the dead winter of January.

8. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    Side question: I know that the audition material says that they do both jazz and classical, but is possible to just do classical? I play a bare smattering of jazz and am by no means good at it, would that be pointless to send in a tape?

9. Dbass926

Dbass926

Jun 20, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Sorry to not weigh in sooner on this - I am the administrator for the camp, and would be happy to field any specific questions about repertoire, camp content, etc. But to give you guys a sense - in Wabass history we have had:
    Tony Parry (Louisiana Philharmonic) Meredith Johnson (Winnipeg Symphony principal) Burke Shaw (Houston Symphony)
    and we have also had several young bass players like Tim Dilenschneider and Xavier Foley who have gone on to study at Curtis, as well as Dan Perry, who went to IU and was recently runner-up at the Louisiana Philharmonic audition. Nicky Schwartz auditioned with jazz music, but came and played the Arpeggione sonata, and ultimately has gone on to win several major competitions including the ISB solo competition.

The bottom line is that everyone should audition and do their best to get to Wabass, because everyone has a different background and playing experience. Submit your best repertoire in any genre and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how open-minded and thoughtfully the faculty evaluate it.

Brent

10. UnityBass

UnityBass

Jan 18, 2012
    NYC,NY
    is it too late to apply for Wabass?

11. It's too late for the institute, but I think you can still apply to the workshop at Curtis.