Wacky Amp Distortion Business

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4String_Ninja, Sep 12, 2000.

1. 4String_Ninja

Aug 14, 2000

Iv'e got a bit of a problem. My old Acoustic 360 is acting strangly and I need to see if anyone knows what the hell is happening. When I first turn it on it sounds fine but then after a couple seconds of playing the volume dies down some and it starts to have a natural distortion sound even though im not running hardly any power through it. Does anyone know whats going on with this and where is the this distortion coming from? Any comments are appreciated.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If bass is active - CHECK battery - ALWAYS!!!

If the amp still acts weird - it's kinda hard to diagnose it from here - better have it checked by a good repairshop.
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Agree with the above. Also try e mailing Pycho bass guy or Joris for some tips re valve amps NB AMPS KILL.

Also you could try the discussion board at http://www.vintageamps.com they love troubleshooting old amps look for Victor Don Butler Big Cookie Ted Breaux they all have businesses in the States and may be near enough to do the work or recommend a tech for you

happy hunting
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I have sent him 3 emails and he has left the planet ...
  5. No, I haven't :)

You are correct, I haven't answered your last email yet. But our mail conversation just doesn't exactly seem to be lightspeed.

The reasons why haven't I been posting on TB

1. I have been frequenting other forums closer to home, in my mother tongue
    2. I have been rebuilding my website
    2. My basses have been seeing the insides of their cases for almost a year, but I'm playing again (Ravenstorm).
    3. From january, I've not been at 100% health (bowel problems)

And the reason why I'm here now, I've broken a string (a very rare occasion for me) and I'm looking for inside info on what to buy now, or maybe stay with DR lowriders.

Odd, this. In a five year old thread.
  6. Thor

Good to get an update. Thanks.

Props on the new band!

Hope you feel better, and that the house is coming along well.

I oddly ran into this thread, totally by accident. I wondered
    if you were still around from time to time.

Take care
  7. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

The power amp section of an unmodified 360 has the driver transistors collector connected thru a mechanical connection only by way of their heatsink..a little sheetmetal hat type thing. This connection loosens up with time and will give you that very symptom. i had to fix both of my old 360's too bad they are gone.

Joris...Try Rotosound...bleeping awesome strings!!!!
  8. same thing happened to me...
    my sprk cable had come exposed inside the end and the two wires were crossing.
    it fried my GK800RB..

9. Well, thanks for keeping an eye out.

The house is on hold for now. My energy levels haven't been able to keep up.

Well, being used to DR, I can only go up from there, see? I want growly, extremely long lasting strings. That's why I've been eye-ing Thomastik-Infeld. I hear everyone rave about them, and I'm close to the Austrian source, so I can get them at a fair price.
  10. Thor

I have just moved to the Fatbeams for my Cirrus. The verdict
    is pending. I'll be curious to hear about those.

I'll send mail on the other.

My friend sloom (thwackless on TB) just fried his 370, curious to know if he ever fixed it.